Jobs in Weslaco, TX
- 755,838 Resumes
- 2,666 Jobs Available
- 37,601 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
The Southwestern town of Weslaco, Texas, lies at the edge of the Rio Grande Valley. Residents of this hot, humid town enjoy mild winters, hot summers and close access to the Gulf of Mexico. They also enjoy the benefit of being near dining and entertainment options in the metropolis of McAllen. When looking for a job in this area, it can help to know a few things about the current market and the types of jobs that are available. Here are a few tips to help you in your search for jobs in Weslaco.
If you’re considering working in the Weslaco area, it’s vital to research the unique atmosphere and be aware of the largest industries. The unemployment rate for the entire McAllen area is 7.4%, quite a bit higher than the national average of 5.3%, making it even more important to be aware of which jobs hire the most employees. The top performing industries for the area include education and health services, government positions, leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, trade, transportation and utilities. Education and health services are the fastest growing industries right now, with leisure and hospitality not far behind. The largest occupations are personal care aids, retail salespersons, office clerks, cashiers and elementary school teachers. In addition to the high unemployment rate, the average weekly wage is also another factor for job hunters. While the national average is $1,048, the greater McAllen area offers an average of only $607. These reasons make it even more necessary to research which fields pay the most and can provide a comfortable lifestyle.
Once you’ve found a promising job lead, it’s time to submit your resume. Whether you’re searching for jobs in Weslaco or anywhere else, this is one of the most important aspects of your application. A well-written resume can mean the difference between scoring an interview and being put in the rejection pile. Here are some tips on how to create a winning resume.
1. Keep it short. While you want to be sure to include all necessary information, nobody is going to read several pages of employment and education history. The traditional rule is to keep it to one page, but it’s acceptable to go beyond that if you have enough experience to fill up a second page more than halfway. Otherwise, just condense what you’ve written.
2. Keep it simple. Be careful not to include any unnecessary information or “fluff. ”
3. Keep it clear. Format it so that the reader can easily follow and locate important points. A bulleted style can really help in this situation.
4. Keep it formal. Don’t use slang words or improper grammar.
5. Keep it active. A dull resume is much less likely to be read through, so use action verbs and phrases. Rather than “worked with,” say things like “collaborated. ”
Before you begin searching, you’ll need some helpful tips on how to find a new job in this competitive market. Here are a few that can aid you in Weslaco or any other city.
1. Research and plan. As mentioned before, knowing which positions offer the highest pay and which industries hire the most employees can affect which field you decide to pursue. Once you’ve gathered this information, create a plan detailing how you’ll find job openings in your chosen area.
2. Think outside the box. In this type of city, it’s best to search several different sources for job listings. Watch for newspaper ads and help wanted boards, but also check online forums and listing websites.
3. Establish a network. Working through contacts is one of the best ways to find new job leads and get your foot in the door, so make sure you talk with everyone you know.
4. Plan alternatives. Whether you’re searching for jobs in Weslaco or anywhere else, it’s best to have some alternative options in case your job hunt turns out to take longer than planned. Look for temporary, contract and side work. Not only can these types of employment provide some income while you look for a full-time job, they can also help you establish additional connections and possibly lead to a full-time position.
5. Don’t give up. Competitive markets weed out the weak almost immediately. Focus on staying calm and positive and persevering through difficult times.