Jobs in Wappinger, NY
- 181,976 Resumes
- 3,827 Jobs Available
- 27,137 Population
- $61,000 Average Salary
Wappinger, New York is located in Dutchess County and roughly 70 miles north of New York City. The region that Wappinger is located in is known as Hudson Valley, an area that draws jobs from a diverse range of industries. The Dutchess County seat of Poughkeepsie is roughly 10 miles away, which makes Wappinger near a major commercial center of the region. Understanding the salaries and occupations in the area can help jobseekers navigate the job market. Get a glimpse into the trends and outlook for jobs in Wappinger.
Like many parts of the United States, Wappinger and the surrounding areas are steadily recovering from the setbacks that were caused by the economic recession. Wappinger is located in Dutchess County, which has an employment rate of 4.2 percent, a figure lower than the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The education and health services, the government and the trade, transportation and utilities sectors are among the largest industry employers in the area. Retail salespersons, cashiers and administrative assistants are the largest occupations in the Poughkeepsie-Newburg-Middletown area, which includes jobs in Wappinger. The average weekly wages in Dutchess County is $961, which is lower than the U.S. average weekly wage of $1,048.
Among the various job-hunting tools and techniques, having a stellar resume is a must-do. The resume is the key piece to convincing a hiring manager or recruiter that you’re the best candidate for the job. Follow these tips when creating your resume for jobs in Wappinger.
1. Make your resume reader-friendly with bullet lists, appropriate white space and easy-to-read fonts.
2. Highlight your transferrable skills. When describing your job history and accomplishments, make sure your highlight how your experience support what you want to do in your next job. Interpersonal, communication or project management skills are traits that are needed in every industry.
3. Select strong verbs. Descriptive words help you write concisely and add concrete detail. For example, a verb like “collaborated” does a better job at catching the reader’s attention than the word “worked. ”
4. Quantify your descriptions. In other words, incorporate percentages, dollar amounts or other figures as much as possible when describing your accomplishments or responsibilities.
5. Integrate keywords from the job posting into your resume. To quickly decide whether a candidate is the best fit for a job, recruiters or hiring managers for jobs in Wappinger are scanning resumes for those keywords.
Social media, networking or job training: these are among the tools that jobseekers have at their fingertips, but using them effectively takes understanding your short-term and long-term career goals. Learn how to productively use these tools and techniques in your search for jobs in Wappinger.
1. Meet other people in your profession. In other words, network. Your contacts can connect you with job leads or share insight into the local job market.
2. Research the company you want to work for. One way to do this is following them through social media. Sometimes, recruiters or hiring managers who work for your ideal company have social media accounts where they post job leads or industry insight.
3. Curate your social media account. In other words, put your best virtual foot forward. Hiring managers are scanning Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media platforms as a preliminary, unofficial background check on applicants.
4. Take advantage of time-saving tools, such as email subscriptions to new job postings. Make sure you subscribe to niche job boards in addition to large, top job posting sites.
5. Keep calm and positive. It’s the new normal for a job search to take several weeks. It’s natural to feel discouraged when a new job happens outside your desired timeframe; however, these various tools and techniques help keep you focused on the ultimate goal: a new job.