Jobs in Visalia, CA
- 353,687 Resumes
- 2,122 Jobs Available
- 129,281 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Visalia, CA is a small-town San Joaquin Valley agricultural (grapes, olives, cotton, and citrus), livestock, and light manufacturing center. It is located near the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Sequoia, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon National Parks. It is also the home of the College of the Sequoias. Temps average between 80 to 95 degrees in summer and 55 to 70 degrees in the winter months. Visalia is also a cultural as well as economic hub. The creek side community of Visalia has numerous city parks and trails, and offers indoor/outdoor sports and events, such as river rafting, fishing, skiing, hiking and biking (Tour of CA – Visalia to Bakersfield), golf, art/music, dining, and entertainment.If you’re looking for a job in Visalia, CA you’ll need to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. Full-time, part-time, and seasonal work may be found at the city and county offices, healthcare facilities, and numerous San Joaquin Valley growers and packing companies.
The Visalia, CA area is included in the Visalia-Porterville, Calif. Metropolitan Statistical Area and Tulare County. It has a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 9.9 percent. This is down from 11.4 percent in Sep 2014, which is significantly higher than the 5.9 percent state average and the national average of 5.2 percent (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). Visalia, CA employment has been concentrated in farming, fishing, and forestry, sales and related, and food preparation and serving related sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Visalia, CA area were: 1.Farm workers and laborers, crop, nursery, and greenhouse workers2.Retail salespersons3.Cashiers4.Food preparation and serving related (including fast food)5.Stock clerks and order fillersThe top performing industries in the Visalia, CA area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (16.1 percent)2.Office and administrative support occupations (13.1 percent)3.Sales/ and related occupations (10.0 percent)4.Food preparation and serving related occupations (7.4 percent)5.Transportation and material moving occupations (7.3 percent)Overall, Visalia employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in education, training, and library; and community and social service sectors. The fastest-growing employment sector is Visalia’s light manufacturing and industrial/commercial distribution business. Conversely, Visalia employment sectors of office and administrative support, computer and mathematical, and business and financial operations have employment shares significantly lower than the national averages. The largest area employers in the Visalia, CA area, in addition to the City of Visalia and Tulare County, include the Kaweah Delta Medical Center, Visalia Medical Clinic, and Family Healthcare Network, VF, International Paper, Cigna, and Jostens.
Submit your resume, or include it with the job application, to the employer to get a job interview. A resume is part of the process. It 1) serves as a basis for interview, 2) is a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and 3) helps justify the hiring decision. A well-written resume is necessary to ensure an interview. Effective resumes include:
1. Basic criteria which should:
• be focused
• be neat and clean in appearance/format
• include a keyword summary
• include a skills and accomplishments list.
2. All resumes must include:
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications and Keyword Summary, Licenses and Certifications, Affiliations and Memberships, Military Service, Language Proficiencies, and “References Available Upon Request. ”
3. Entries should be listed chronologically from most recent to least recent.
4. Do not exaggerate or embellish the facts.
5. Check for misspelled words, formatting, and typos.
6. DO NOT INCLUDE: Height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, race, social security number, or photo.
Your Visalia, CA job search can be made easier by following some basic tips:
• Keep your skills and knowledge of your industry in the Visalia, CA area current – Attend skills (re)training, read industry and professional reports and journals, browse online job banks (who is hiring; open positions).
• Network – Linkedin, Facebook, professional and community associations, job-hunt groups, and job fairs in the Visalia, CA area provide connections and company and job opportunity information.
• Include basic keywords that link viewers to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc. Search companies and jobs online and distribute your resume on Twitter.
• Use ALL available job search tools and resources – Look beyond the job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates. Keep your network information and resume current.
• Plan, organize, and follow-up on leads. Practice interviewing.
• Update your resume and professional, as well as personal, reference list.