Jobs in Vestavia Hills, AL
- 8,518 Jobs Available
- 34,124 Population
- $52,000 Average Salary
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, is a beautiful suburb of Birmingham, located in the central part of the state. With a population of 34,033 as of the 2010 census, Vestavia Hills is a mid-sized suburban city with convenient access to all the commerce, retail and industry that the larger area of Birmingham has to offer. Spread across both Jefferson and Shelby counties, Vestavia Hills covers nearly 20 square miles of land and boasts many parks and recreational centers. To learn more about the employment economy of the area, including popular jobs in Vestavia Hills, average salaries and more, please read on.
Along with fairly low unemployment rates and good earning potential, Vestavia Hills also has a diverse array of employment industries to offer. The unemployment rate in Shelby County is 4 percent, while the unemployment rate in Jefferson County is 5.4 percent. These can be compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. By far, the largest employing industry is trade, transportation and utilities, followed by government. Education and health services ranks in third place, followed closely by professional and business services, which grew 3.4 percent between 2014-2015. Leisure and hospitality jobs rank fifth among the top employing sectors in the Birmingham area. Cashiers, retail salespersons and registered nurses are the top three largest occupations in the Birmingham metropolitan region. In the Birmingham area as a whole, all workers earn an average weekly wage of $908, which is just under the national average of $1,048.
A resume is your one chance to show employers a map of where you’ve been, what you achieved there and where you are going. No matter where you are in your professional journey, follow these tips for a resume that does all of this and more.
1. When deciding whether to place your educational or professional experiences first on your resume, consider which section will be more interesting and relevant to the reader.
2. Frame your experiences in terms of situation, action and results. In other words, describe what the circumstances were, what you did to better them and what positive change took place.
3. Keep in mind the most in-demand traits that employers are looking for: ambition, quick skill acquisition, teamwork, persuasiveness, problem-solving, following directions and leadership.
4. Appearance counts for a lot in a resume. Balance the material on the page, allow for sufficient white space and use bullet points consistently throughout.
5. Always include your transferrable skills towards the top of your resume, and never include skills that you don’t want to keep doing in the future.
Looking for jobs in Vestavia Hills? Some keys to a successful job hunt in the modern market are patience, persistence and just the right amount of creativity. Here are some more job hunting tips that should ease your job search.
1. Remain current and connected by using the tools of social media to publicize your job search, share your resume with relevant hiring managers and learn of job opportunities that are right for you.
2. Still, balance your virtual job hunt with in-person meetings. Some experts advise that employees click less and walk and talk more in order to make genuine, first-hand impressions on recruiters.
3. Change your attitude about your job hunt if you find yourself getting down in the dumps. Keeping a mental state of positivity is vital, especially when a job hunt takes longer than you think or doesn’t turn out as you hope it might.
4. When employers are bogged down with resumes, it’s all the more important for you to be the one interviewee that stands out by following up. Stay on top of being in touch with a potential employer in order to show them your motivation and enthusiasm.
5. If you think you might be eligible for extra assistance or unemployment benefits, contact your local career center or job counselor to find out more. These aids may help you immensely during your time between jobs.