Jobs in Utica, NY
- 164,557 Resumes
- 1,877 Jobs Available
- 61,332 Population
- $68,000 Average Salary
The city of Utica, NY boasts a long and varied history in the manufacturing industry, especially the textile industry. It is known for its low cost of living and its cultural diversity. A quick look at the local economic situation and career prospects can help people who are looking for jobs in Utica.
The market for jobs in Utica is starting to rebound after some difficult times in the late 20th century. The unemployment rate of the city in October 2015 was at 4.7 percent, better than the current nationwide unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The top five occupations in the city are retail, food preparation and service, healthcare, nursing and manufacturing. The healthcare support industry is especially strong there, with almost twice as many jobs in the Utica area as in other areas. Average weekly wages for jobs in Utica are currently $747, significantly lower than the national average of $1,048, although some of this is offset by the low cost of living in the area.
A winning resume can make the difference between a frustrating search and a great new job. Whether you’re an experienced worker or just starting out, you should pay attention to the basic do’s and don’ts of writing a good resume if you want to find jobs in Utica.
1. You can use more than one page if needed. You may have heard that rule in the past, but it isn’t an absolute rule. A more experienced person may have two full pages of material to share with potential employers.
2. Give multiple options for contact. You may want to include a phone number, a postal address, an email address and a website URL if applicable. The more options you offer, the more likely people are to get in touch with you.
3. Don’t give undue emphasis to activities and skills you aren’t interested in pursuing further.
4. Don’t list things such as age, height, weight, marital status, religious affiliations, political affiliations, reasons for job termination or former salaries at other jobs.
5. Never lie, even about small things.
Job hunting in Utica, like job hunting in any other city, is much easier when you know how to take effective action. These five tips can help you with a successful job search.
1. Plan ahead for the next weeks and months. Set up a game plan for searching each day. Find out about possible assistance and benefits that might be able to support you and your family during the job search process.
2. Evaluate your skills. Think about the experience you may have built up in different jobs or different areas of your industry. You may be qualified for unexpected positions you hadn’t even thought about.
3. Touch up your resume. A job hunt is a perfect opportunity to spend some serious time on improving your resume. This document is the first impression that most people will get when you apply to work for them. Make sure it’s well edited and free of mistakes. Also make sure it emphasizes all your strengths and your whole range of job experiences.
4. Devote yourself to networking. Spend some time at job fairs and job centers. An online job bank can also be a helpful resource. Take a moment to get in touch with old colleagues and look for leads.
5. Don’t get discouraged. Job seeking can be a stressful experience. Remember to take care of your health and allow yourself some time to de-stress with fun activities. When things get difficult, think of the future results you’re working for.