Jobs in Upper Arlington, OH
- 14,035 Jobs Available
- 34,609 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Upper Arlington is an affluent city in Franklin County, and is a popular, “first-ring” suburb of Columbus. The southern half of the city is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As you begin your search for jobs in Upper Arlington, you should arm yourself with information about the local job market such as prospects and average salaries. The following will provide a preliminary overview of the employment scene.
Upper Arlington is part of the Columbus area, which has seen steady growth over the past year. Unemployment in Franklin County is 3.8 percent, significantly better than the national average of 5.3 percent. According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the education and health services sector is the top-performing provider of jobs in Upper Arlington, with a healthy 6.9 percent growth year-to-year. The mining, logging and construction industry follows closely with 6.5 percent gains. Other services, financial activities and leisure and hospitality round out the five top performers in the Columbus area. The only sector that declined was trade, transportation and utilities, posting a tiny decrease of 0.1 percent. Food preparation and serving workers, retail salespersons and customer service representatives represent the largest occupations. Average weekly wages in the Columbus area are $935, a bit behind the national average of $1,048.
It’s important to put effort into writing a strong resume that commands a potential employer’s attention and sells you as the right person for the job. Here are some do’s and don’ts to help you put together a resume that works for you.
1. Do stress accomplishments. Remember that you’re selling yourself, so don’t be afraid to be your own cheerleader. Make sure you honestly, yet prominently feature ways in which you’ve distinguished yourself in your career.
2. Don’t include salary information. Not only can this make you seem amateurish and unprofessional, it can diminish your negotiating power if you’re offered jobs in Upper Arlington.
3. Do keep tightly focused. Many hiring managers are so overwhelmed with applicants that they devote fewer than six seconds to each resume they receive. You need to present a refined document that jumps right into answering the important questions of who you are, what you can do, and why you should get the job.
4. Don’t include controversial details like religious affiliations. Take special care not to accidentally reveal this information by including groups you may belong to that are specifically tied to certain organizations or beliefs that may be polarizing.
5. Do proofread your work carefully. Grammar and spelling matter, especially on a document designed to convince someone to bring you into their organization.
Employment searches in any location can be challenging, but a few good choices can make finding jobs in Upper Arlington much easier. Here are a few tips to help guide you.
1. Take assessments to help direct the focus of your search by identifying your strengths, weaknesses and interests. Having a clear understanding of what you want to do and what you bring to the table makes you a more effective job hunter.
2. Prepare to search for a while. You may find a job quickly, but it’s psychologically advantageous to recognize that looking for jobs in Upper Arlington may take longer than anticipated. Understanding this upfront could help keep you from getting discouraged if the search does begin to drag on.
3. Dig deeply into your networks. Call on colleagues, family and friends to assist you. They may have information or access that could help you find more direct paths to gainful employment.
4. Follow up tenaciously. Until you hear a firm no, you should commit to checking back in with a prospective employer every few days to a week. Show them you’re serious.
5. Schedule your search activities. It’s important to organize your time. This keeps you moving forward and helps you manage multiple applications, increasing your odds of finding employment quickly.