Jobs in University Park, TX
- 280,826 Resumes
- 13,774 Jobs Available
- 24,396 Population
- $59,000 Average Salary
Located in the northern suburbs of the metropolis of Dallas, Texas, University Park is a community that was founded around Southern Methodist University. According to the 2010 Census, this city had a population listed at 23,068. Read more to find out information on jobs in University Park, as well as the state of the local economy.
University Park and the greater Dallas area has a thriving economy which continues to show growth as evidenced in its unemployment rate. From the end of 2014 to the end of 2015, the unemployment rate decreased .3 percentage points, going from 4.0 percent to 3.7 percent. This is far below the national average of 5.3 percent. Trade, transportation and utilities are the dominant sectors and largest areas of employment in the region. The second highest area is for professional and business services. The largest occupations are for office and administrative support workers, followed by sales and related positions. The weekly wages vary by county in this metropolitan area but the average is higher than the national rate of $1,048, reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in the second quarter of 2015 at $1,057.
Resumes continue to serve as your “calling card” and need to be focused and easily readable to gain the attention of potential employers. Follow these tips to help you be the most competitive in your search for jobs in University Park.
1. Infuse your resume with industry and job specific keywords. This is important to be able to be found by online resume screening programs that many employers utilize to filter through applicants.
2. Make sure to list your jobs in reverse chronological order to create the most impact.
3. Consider using a bulleted format for your resume. This type of design is good for focus and readability, and can be very attractive to managers hiring for jobs in University Park.
4. Proofread your resume with an exacting eye. If you are unsure about an entry, consult a trusted friend or colleague. Spellcheck and grammar programs are by no means thorough.
5. If you have multiple jobs with the same employer, list them separately to maintain a consistent format. This is also a good way to show your rise within the company.
Finding jobs in University Park takes a combination of job-seeking skills and the right attitude. Learn more to rise above your competition and take that next important step in your career.
1. Read professional journals and industry websites to ensure you are up to date with the latest business trajectories in your field. This information can be very helpful in your interviews.
2. Practice your interviewing techniques to project confidence and to be able to sell yourself well. Appropriate eye contact, body language and good listening skills are all something that employers are paying attention to.
3. Network every day either online or in person. Getting yourself out there will increase your leads for jobs in University Park and make your job search more efficient.
4. Consider more training. Study the preferred qualifications for the jobs that you are applying for to see if you are the most competitive. Sometimes a quick online course can be the reason you get picked for an interview above other applicants.
5. Dig deep into the online job banks. You can not only apply for jobs but you can also post your resume for employers to seek out, as well as research salary ranges for certain positions.