Jobs in Torrance, CA
- 755,838 Resumes
- 45,829 Jobs Available
- 148,495 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
Nestled in the southwestern portion of Los Angeles County, Torrance is a city known for its beaches, moderate year-round temperatures and low crime rate. While convenient access to L.A. makes the city prime spot of smaller business operations, there's also a strong retail and hospitality presence within Torrance. Keep reading for more information on the local job market, job prospects and average salaries to help with your job search in this city.
A strong labor force participation rate and growing retail and tech sectors of the local economy mean that job prospects in Torrance are generally good. The unemployment rate in the city is 4.9 percent, lower than the national rate of 5.5 percent. Manufacturing, wholesale trade, retail trade, technology and healthcare are among the top performing industries within the region, with the technology and healthcare sectors of the economy showing noticeable growth in recent years. The largest occupation in Torrance are retail salespersons, cashiers, general office workers and clerks, food service workers and laborers. The average weekly wage in Torrance is $1,201 while the U.S. average is $752.
The key to making a good first impression on potential employers in Torrance, or any other city in the U. S. , is a well-crafted resume. Regardless of your carer goals and overall experience, there are some dos and don'ts you should be aware of when preparing your own resume.
1. Do Use Specific Accomplishments - Instead of listing generic job duties, pepper your career experience with specific accomplishments, such as "developed a more efficient bookkeeping system" rather than "balanced daily ledgers. "
2. Don't Use Justified Text - Justified texts creates odd spacing to create a symmetric appearance, which can be distracting when glancing over a resume, so flush left instead.
3. Do Sharpen Your Focus - Each resume should be specific to the employer. Achieve this goal with a unique summary of qualifications that emphasizes why you should be considered for the job and a subsequent listing of relevant skills and accomplishments.
4. Don't Lie or Exaggerate - Any distortions or outright lies on your resume are likely to get it tossed in the discard pile. If there are deficiencies in your skills, compensate for this by emphasizing your ability to "learn new responsibilities and skills quickly. "
5. Do Read Your Resume Out Loud - After you've checked your resume for spelling and grammar errors, take a moment to read it out loud to see how it flows and make any necessary adjustments.
It can be somewhat overwhelming when trying to make productive connections with potential employers in Torrance. As is the case in other U. S. cities, however, the job search in Torrance can be made significantly easier by taking the right kind of action.
1. Step Up Your Networking Efforts - Reach out to others already working within your industry. Extend your networking efforts by reaching out to hiring managers with an email briefly stating what you offer as a potential employer.
2. Do Your Homework - Brush up on the companies where you to hope to work by checking social media pages, blogs and websites. The information you can gain can be used in initial emails or during your interviews.
3. Start Conversations - Become a valuable contributor within your network by sharing your own job search tips and starting conversations; you may be rewarded with some solid leads and insider info on job openings not yet posted online.
4. Use Relevant Keywords and Phrases - You only have so many words you can use to sell yourself with most social media posts or profiles, so include keywords and phrases relevant to your desired profession to better attract potential employers.
5. Delete Inappropriate Social Media Content - According to one estimate, 35 percent of employers find information online about a candidate that leads to them not hiring that person. Remove inappropriate posts and photos from your social platforms as necessary.