Jobs in Tonawanda, NY
- 163,611 Resumes
- 5,129 Jobs Available
- 73,281 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Located on the Erie Canal, Tonawanda is approximately 10 miles north of Buffalo, New York. Part of the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan area, the city has a large area to draw from for employment. According to the 2010 Census the city proper has a population of about 15,130. Take a look at the economic environment including the job prospects, annual salaries and more that can help you continue your career and find jobs in Tonawanda.
The city is within the boundary of Eric County where unemployment rates are improved from being equal to the national rate at 5.3 percent in 2014 down to 4.8 percent in 2015. Trade, transportation and utilities, along with education and health services are the top two areas of employment in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan area. The largest occupations are office and administrative support, sales, food preparations and serving related, education and training which include library positions, and production occupations. Average wages run a little lower than the national average of $1,048 at around $868 per week.
When you are looking for jobs in Tonawanda, you must have a high quality resume to rise above the masses. These do’s and don’ts will help to polish this all important document to impress the most discriminating of hiring managers.
1. Do target keywords to help your resume get noticed. A lot of employers use digital search tools with specific keywords for resumes when selecting possible job applicants, and researching the details of your position can be the tipping point to get your resume at the top of the slush pile.
2. Do perform edits and proofread with a critical eye. Typos or confusing phrases can turn off hiring managers very quickly and are an easy fix.
3. Don’t underline unless you have web links. It can be distracting or confusing and looks unprofessional.
4. Don’t use too many fonts. Two types are sufficient: one for text in the body of the document and one for headings. Pick simple and classic fonts to make a clean and crisp looking resume.
5. Do make sure the spacing is even and consistent throughout the document. This is easy to read and provides a professional look.
Finding jobs in Tonawanda involves the use of different skill sets with positivity and ingenuity. Follow these tips in your job search and your time will be spent efficiently and with a directed purpose.
1. Be aware of your online image. That means being smart about what images and comments you post online. Employers are savvy when it comes to technology, and are looking at your reputation on the web.
2. Tailor your documents to the individual application. Don’t put something on your resume that isn’t true, but do write cover letters that explain why you would be the perfect pick for the job.
3. Research your prospective employer well. It is important to be prepared prior to the interview to ensure your commitment to the organization.
4. Use your network. Whether you are online or in person, communicating to people who are familiar with you will increase your chances of getting a referral for a job opening.
5. Send inquiry letters. If you are interested in working for a particular company, find a specific contact name with a title, and send this ‘cold call’ letter with your resume and a polite request for a follow-up phone call or meeting.