Jobs in Southgate, MI
- 66 Resumes
- 18,056 Jobs Available
- 29,416 Population
- $60,000 Average Salary
Southgate is located in Wayne County, Michigan. According to the 2010 census, the population was 30,047. In October 1958, Southgate was established as a city. Most of that region of the state was not developed until after World War II. Southgate acquired its name because of its function as the “South Gate” into the Detroit area. One of the major landmarks of the town is the Southgate Shopping Center, one of the first buildings established after the town had become officially incorporated. Another important business is the News-Herald, a newspaper which resides over nearly twenty surrounding areas. Finding work in Southgate means learning about this unique local economy, including job prospects and average salaries.
The economic forecast for Southgate appears promising, as unemployment rates continue to decrease. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment rates in the greater Detroit area have dropped from 6.9% in November 2014 to 5.2% in November 2015. This is equivalent to the national unemployment rate of 5.2%. The job that accounts for the highest number of employees is retail salesperson. The second largest group includes team assemblers, followed by office clerks and registered nurses. The top performing industries are mining, logging and construction, financial activities, and education and health services. The average weekly wage for an employee in the Southgate area is $1,024, compared to the national average weekly salary of $1,048.
When it comes to finding jobs in Southgate, you’ll want to think of your resume as your calling card. Make sure your resume stands apart from the others with the following tips.
1. Don’t exceed two pages. Unless you are a doctor or academic who might need to use curricula vitae (CVs), there is no need to write more than two pages. Always keep your resume writing brief and relevant.
2. Do align the text flush left and use bullets for listing items. These simple formatting standards will immediately improve the organization and clarity of your writing.
3. Don’t rely on generic language. Overly used phrases such as “hard working” and “team player” should be avoided as they will detract from the individuality of your writing.
4. Do introduce your work history section with a “Summary of Skills” section. This offers your reader with an at-a-glance profile of your unique qualifications.
5. Do list your work history in the following recommended order: title of position, employer, city and state of employer, and employment dates.
If you are looking to find jobs in Southgate, you will want to put to use some effective job seeking skills. The tips below can help keep you on track during this important process.
1. Stay positive. Above all else, keeping a positive mindset will allow you to focus on the task ahead as the exciting opportunity that it is. It is also important to remember that your unemployment is only temporary.
2. Keep an open mind. You might have you sights set on a particular position or industry, but keeping an open mind will allow you to be susceptible to more opportunities.
3. Set goals for yourself. Breaking the process down into smaller tasks that can be accomplished on a daily or weekly basis can help maximize your productivity. For instance, you might try sending out a certain number of resumes per week.
4. Keep networking. Don’t hesitate to reach out to any individuals who could offer insight into the job market. Any advice will be useful, and you never know where your next lead could come from.
5. Make use of social media. Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are excellent websites designed to help you expand your professional network. These sites also help potential employers access your profile.