Jobs in Slidell, LA
- 279 Resumes
- 2,457 Jobs Available
- 27,622 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Situated along Lake Pontchartrain, Slidell is a city in Louisiana that is part of the New Orleans metropolitan area. Although part of the disaster zone from Hurricane Katrina, Slidell has made impressive strides in the years since to reestablish its community and economy. Here are some helpful suggestions for individuals seeking jobs in Slidell.
Tammany Parish in which Slidell is located, has experienced great, progressive change in the years since Hurricane Katrina. The area experienced a significant drop in unemployment in the time from November 2014 to November 2015, going from 6.1 to 5.0 percent, which is lower than the country’s average of 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the trade, transportation and utilities industries employ the most amount of people in the greater New Orleans area. The second largest sector for employment comes from the education and health services industries. From November 2014 to November 2015, the most impressive growth was found in the leisure and hospitality industry with 4.8 percent growth and other services with 3 percent growth. Cashiers make up the largest occupational group in the New Orleans area. Additionally, waiters and waitresses and retail salespersons have the second and third largest group of workers in the New Orleans area. In Tammany Parish, the average weekly wage is $899 or less, somewhat less than the country’s average of $1,048.
Even if you are beyond qualified and vastly educated, if your resume isn’t up to par it could be difficult to find jobs in Slidell. Here are some ways to get your resume in top condition.
1. When preparing a resume, stick to third person point of view, and skip the first person pronouns like I, we, me and my. This will make your resume sound more polished and professional.
2. Be consistent with your language when describing your job experience and skills. Use strong action verbs to help the reader visualize and know each task you’ve completed.
3. Use specific numbers in your resume to quantify things when detailing your projects and experiences. This will give future employers a clearer picture of your successes.
4. When organizing the look of your resume, bullet points give the reader a manageable way to digest the information without overwhelming the mind with a wall of text.
5. Focus on words and language that promote your achievements more than just writing a description of your previous jobs. Give employers hiring for jobs in Slidell a powerful reason to ask you back for an interview.
Starting your search for a career can be daunting, however, jobs in Slidell can be found with persistence and a plan. Some tips to help you get started are listed below.
1. Make a plan and a timeline. Write down an end date when you feel that you need to have a job secured. Write down the steps you need take in order to get hired by the best company.
2. Learn about the industry. Research the industry in which you’re looking for a job. Keep up with industry news and events to anticipate the trends and possible job openings coming up.
3. Learn about your preferred employer. Study as much as you can in order to gain information about a company you would be interested in working with. Pay special attention to their corporate events, news and press releases.
4. Dress for success. Purchase a high quality interview suit that will be sure to convey the professional responsibility that you know you’re capable of. Don’t forget to focus on the small things, such as shoes and accessories.
5. Practice your interview skills. An interview can get your hired, or get you rejected. Make sure your interview brings you closer to the dream jobs in Slidell. Practice answering possible questions with friends or family.