Jobs in Shaker Heights, OH
- 109,449 Resumes
- 10,294 Jobs Available
- 27,790 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Located in northern Ohio not far from Lake Erie, Shaker Heights is a thriving suburb of the metropolis of Cleveland. The 2010 Census listed the population of this planned community at 28,448, with its residents benefitting from smaller city living with nearby economic opportunities. Read more about the local economy and jobs in Shaker Heights.
Shaker Heights is in Cuyahoga County on the east edge of Cleveland, and has shown continued steady growth in the local economy. Well below the national average for unemployment rates, the Cleveland area decreased 1.3 percentage points from 5.2 percent in December 2014 to 3.9 percent in December 2015, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The national rate is 5.3 percent. The largest areas of employment are in health and education services and trade, transportation and utilities. Workers in office and administrative support are in the largest occupational group, followed by sales and related positions. The weekly wages in the greater Cleveland area vary greatly by county, although Cuyahoga County boasts the largest numbers at $971. This is a little under the national average of $1,048 for weekly wages.
Your resume has to be of high quality for you to rise above the competition and get noticed by potential employers. Read more to get your resume polished to help you find jobs in Shaker Heights.
1. Include a bulleted keyword section that is relevant to the type of job you are looking for. Utilizing industry and job specific terms create a sharp focus and are important not only to hiring managers, but also for online resume software filters that are looking for qualified applicants.
2. If you held several positions within one company, create separate job listings to maintain formatting style and to promote readability.
3. Use the word “Experience” not “Employment” for your main section. This allows you to include other relevant information such as volunteer work, internships and sports-team participation.
4. Don’t use phrases like “Duties included…” and “Responsible for…. ” It is important to focus on accomplishments utilizing action verbs that showcase what you can do for your future employer.
5. Watch your verb tenses within your job descriptions and make sure you are staying with the same tense within each listing.
Finding jobs in Shaker Heights requires a commitment to succeed and a polished set of job-seeking skills. Follow these tips to find jobs in Shaker Heights and elevate yourself above the competition.
1. Make solid plans and goals. If you set certain numbers of job applications and resumes sent per week, it will help you to keep moving forward and maintain a positive attitude.
2. Consider more training. Check the preferred qualifications of the jobs you are applying for and see how you compare. Sometimes a quick certification course, either online or at a local college, can be just the thing you need to land that dream job.
3. Network every day. Whether it is online or in person, it is important to get your name and skill set out there as much as possible to speed up your job search.
4. Seek out industry journals, trade magazines and websites to keep up to date on current trends. This is important for interviews and can be very impressive to hiring managers.
5. Examine your skill set carefully and determine if you have transferable skills to other markets and industries. Many times opportunities can open up where you least expect it.