Jobs in Seguin, TX
- 755,838 Resumes
- 682 Jobs Available
- 27,041 Population
- $48,000 Average Salary
The county seat of Guadalupe County, Seguin is located about an hour southwest of Austin and just under 45 minutes east of San Antonio. The city offers easy access to two large, metropolitan areas while maintaining its small-town, Texas charm. Seguin has a population of around 26,660, according to the 2013 census. Read more to better understand the area and how you might find jobs in Seguin.
The San Antonio area made good progress in unemployment between November of 2014 and 2015, and Guadalupe County leads the pack with the lowest rate of 3.6 percent. No city in the area is within a percentage point of the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, construction and professional and business services added the largest percentage of jobs in the past year. Retail, customer service and the food industry make up the largest occupations in the region. The average weekly wage for the counties around San Antonio is $840, which is below the national average of $1,048 but not uncommon for more rural areas.
Most every job market places a fair amount of importance on the resume. This definitely holds true when looking for jobs in Seguin. No matter what the industry, there are some guidelines you’ll want your resume to follow so that it sticks out to employers, and for the right reasons.
1. Length is important, but not too Important. A one-page resume is ideal, but if that means you don’t include some information that makes you look like an ideal candidate, a one-page resume will harm you more than help. Just don’t go over two pages.
2. Make your resume look unique. Find a design that you identify with and don’t find boring. You can buy nice, cheap resume templates online that might catch an employer’s eye faster than something more routine.
3. Keep the text flush in the left margin so that it’s easy on the reader’s eyes. While a clever looking template can help you, trying to get clever with text placement usually does not.
4. Include a summary of your qualifications. With so many other people applying for jobs in Seguin and submitting lengthy resumes, expressing your qualifications early and succinctly can help set you apart.
5. Make sure your contact info is included. A great job candidate who can’t be reached isn’t a great a candidate.
Finding jobs in Seguin is difficult for some and easier for others, depending on the approach taken. Here are some tips for tracking down work in a small town with nearby big-city influences.
1. Show your face. The Internet has made applying for jobs incredibly easy while also significantly diluting the pool of applicants. Dropping a resume in person can be an advantage over others searching for jobs in Seguin who only use their computers.
2. Get creative in your job search. If your only resource is the classifieds section, you miss out on connecting with local people working in a field of interest who might have available work that hasn’t been posted.
3. Don’t get discouraged. It isn’t your fault if you apply for a job that happens to have 50,000 other applicants and you don’t get selected. It is your fault, however, if you let that get you down and stop trying.
4. Think of job-hunting as a full-time gig. If you want to work, prove to yourself that you’re willing to do it. Putting in an eight-hour day of researching, calling, applying and following up will not only make you feel more productive, it will increase your chances of getting hired.
5. Be prepared to interview. Practice interviewing with friends and family or look into online courses. It would be a shame to put all that effort into finding jobs in Seguin and then not be ready when one becomes available.