Jobs in Schererville, IN
- 755,838 Resumes
- 15,183 Jobs Available
- 28,926 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Located in Lake county, Schererville is part of the larger Chicago Metropolitan Area and was named in Money Magazines “100 Best Places to Live in the U.S.” According to the 2010 Census, the city has a population of 29, 243. There are a number of job opportunities in the city as well as the larger Chicago Area. To gain a better understanding of the area’s economic outlook, investigate average salaries and prospects for jobs in Schererville.
Lake county, which includes Schererville, has experienced a slight slowing in its economic growth as the unemployment rate increased from 5.6 percent to 5.9 percent between 2014 and 2015 and is slightly higher than the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The trade, transportation and utilities sector provides the greatest number of job openings in the Chicago area followed by education and health services and professional and business services. However, the construction industry has experienced the greatest amount of growth between 2014 and 2015. The most common occupation in the area is retail salesperson followed by laborers. The average weekly salary in the Chicago area is $1,062, and the national weekly salary is $1,048.
Your resume is an important piece in setting you apart from others looking for jobs in Schererville. Here are some do’s and don’ts to help you craft a successful resume.
1. Do go over one page if you have extensive relevant experience and skills. If you need a little more room to show why you are the best for the job use some of the second page.
2. Don’t go over two pages. At the same time, you want to make sure that your resume is concise and to the point. If you start bleeding on to the third page, you are likely including too much information.
3. Do create an easy to read document. Hiring managers are only briefly glancing through resumes, so you want to make sure that your experiences clearly stand out and that reading the document takes little effort.
4. Do use bullet points. The most important aspect of creating an easy to read resume is using bulleted lists of details rather than lengthy paragraphs.
5. Don’t use boring general verbs like work, performed etc. … You want clear concise verbs that clearly show the specifics of your duties and/or skills. This gets to the point much more quickly.
Seeking jobs in Schererville requires an ideal blend of solid job search skills and the right mindset. Follow these steps to reach your job search goals and find the job for you.
1. Stay focused. You want to make sure that you are staying on top of your job search process and that you don’t get distracted. Create a schedule of daily job search tasks and follow through. This will help stay on top of opportunities and prevent you from missing out on opportunities.
2. Consistently network. Networking is one of the most important aspects of the job search process. You want to make sure that you are meeting a variety of people and expanding your circle. The more connections you have the more likely you will find a position.
3. Complete detailed research. Looking for a job requires more time than simply scanning the known job boards. You want to make sure that you are digging for available information. A lot of positions are not posted on the normal sites and require a little more investigating.
4. Step away from the computer. While the Internet can be an important piece in researching potential positions, you also want to work on face-to-face contact with people. Attend job fairs or social engagements and get to know new people in person.
5. Stay positive. It might be tempting to become discouraged and frustrated, but staying positive can help you more easily connect with others and develop relationships. Companies want to hire positive individuals, so you want to put a positive attitude out there.