Jobs in Rome, NY
- 166,686 Resumes
- 1,710 Jobs Available
- 32,645 Population
- $67,000 Average Salary
Located in Oneida County and with a population of over 33,000 residents is the city of Rome, New York. This city resides in the north-central region of the state, and it is often referred to as “Upstate” New York. Rome has a city motto entitled “center of it all,” and it is filled with history dating back to the Revolutionary War. If you are looking for a job in this picturesque part of the country, then the following information about the economy, job market, prospective jobs, and salaries will help you as you search for jobs in Rome area.
The area of Utica, which includes Oneida County, has experienced positive economic performance throughout the last year. During 2014 and 2015, the unemployment rate in Oneida County decreased from 5.3 percent to 4.7 percent. This number is now lower than the United States unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. Data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics during 2015 indicates that the top performing sectors in the Utica area were government, education and health services, trade, transportation, and utilities, leisure and hospitality, and manufacturing. The largest occupations in the Utica-Rome area include retail salespersons, food preparation and serving workers, personal care aides, registered nurses, and cashiers. The average weekly wage in Oneida County is $763, which is lower than the United States average weekly wage of $1048.
Part of finding jobs in Rome involves creating an appealing resume. A good resume should highlight your top skills and accomplishments. To help you attract attention from employers with your resume, use the following tips.
1. Use a template to help you create a clean and professional resume. Sections, lists, and bullet points are all important features to include on a resume, because they enhance readability.
2. Include your basic contact information (city, state, email address, and phone number) at the top of the resume so a prospective employer knows how to get a hold of you.
3. Proofread your resume multiple times so that it is free from errors. Look for grammar mistakes, misspelled words, poor punctuation, and irregular spacing. These problems decrease your chances of landing an interview.
4. Use the top section of the resume to highlight your skills and accomplishments. This section sticks out to a hiring manager and can increase your chances of landing an interview.
5. Do not use phrases like “duties included. ” This verbiage is better for a job description. On a resume, the text needs to be more action-oriented.
For the success searching for jobs in Rome, it is important to work hard and develop your job seeking skills. The following tips will help you make the most of your opportunities and find the right job for your needs.
1. Take advantage of networking opportunities. You can attend career fairs, business events, and social activities to talk with others and discuss job possibilities. It is also a good idea to utilize social media sites to connect with others and discover new opportunities.
2. Plan for success. Determine what you need to do each day to find a job. Think outside of the box when you are planning, and do your best to utilize all job searching resources available.
3. Maintain a positive attitude. Many people feel ashamed or discouraged because they are out of work. It is important to understand that unemployment is common, especially due to the recession. Try not to take your situation personally or let it affect your mental stamina.
4. Determine your qualifications. When you know what you are qualified for, you will be more efficient during your job search.
5. Be persistent. Regular follow up is particularly helpful during a job search. You can follow up about specific opportunities until you receive a definitive “no. ”