Jobs in Roanoke, VA
- 755,838 Resumes
- 4,241 Jobs Available
- 99,428 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Roanoke, VA, the “Capital of the Blue Ridge,” is the largest city in a mountainous area. It is home to Hollins University Virginia, Western Community College, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and Virginia Tech satellite facilities. Temps average between 87 degrees in summer and 27-40 degrees in the winter months. Roanoke also offers hiking and biking along the Appalachian Trail, and camping, fishing, and water sports on the Roanoke River and Smith Mountain Lake. It also has a growing microbrewery industry. The “Center in the Square” hosts museums and planetarium, a variety of festivals, music, and cultural events, and the annual (Olympic-type) Commonwealth Games of Virginia.If you’re looking for a job in Roanoke, VA you’ll need to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. In general, city government and retailers routinely hire temporary and seasonal workers. Education/college systems, research, healthcare, and production also offer full- and part-time employment
Roanoke, VA had a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 4.1 percent. This is down from 5.2 percent in Sep 2014, and below the national average of 5.2 percent and 4.3 state average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). The Roanoke, VA area includes the Roanoke, VA Metropolitan Statistical Area and Botetourt, Craig, Franklin, and Roanoke Counties, and cities of Roanoke and Salem.Roanoke, VA employment has been concentrated in sales and related, food preparation and serving related, and healthcare sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the area were: 1.Retail salesperson2.Registered nurse3.Food preparations/serving workers (including fast food handlers)4.Cashiers5.Office clerks (general)The top performing industries in the Roanoke, VA area (per percent of total employment) include:1.Office and administrative support occupations (17.2 percent)2.Sales/ and related occupations (10.6 percent)3.Food preparation and serving related occupations (8.6 percent)4.Healthcare practitioners and technical occupations (8.2 percent)5.Production (7.7 percent)Overall, Roanoke employment shares were significantly higher (May 2014) in health care practitioners and technical and office and administrative support sectors. Employment shares significantly lower than national averages include management, building and grounds cleaning and maintenance, and computer and mathematical sectors. The largest employers in the Roanoke, VA area include its many (25) colleges/universities and Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute. Transportation and manufacturers such as, Volvo North America, Northfolk Southern, Corning, Altec, Dynanx America offer employment opportunities. Global retailers such as Kroger and WalMart, and Wells Fargo Bank and Allstate Insurance also have a presence in the area. The state also offers employers and entrepreneurs incentives to relocate or expand their industries (i.e.: Technology Zones, The Roanoke Region is a Foreign Trade Zone (international trade incentives)
It is essential to submit your resume, or include it with the job application, to get a job interview. A resume is part of the process which 1) serves as a basis for interview, 2) is a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and 3) helps justify the hiring decision. A well-written resume is necessary to ensure an interview. Tips for an effective resume include:
1. Basic Criteria:
• It must be focused
• It must have a neat/clean appearance/format
• Include a keyword summary
• Include a list of your transferrable skills and accomplishments
2. All resumes must include:
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Additional: Qualifications/Keyword Summary, Licenses/Certifications, Affiliations/Memberships, Military, Language Proficiencies, “References Available Upon Request. ”
3. Use an organized format (chronological format: most recent to past/least recent)
4. Do not exaggerate, over-embellish, or lie about the facts.
5. Check for misspelled words, errors, formatting/typos.
6. DO NOT INCLUDE: Height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, sex, race, or social security number, personal photo.
Your Roanoke, VA job search can significantly be made easier by following some basic tips:
• Keep your skills and knowledge of your industry in the particular area (Roanoke) current – Attend skills (re)training, read industry and professional reports and journals, browse online job banks (who is hiring; open positions).
• Network – Linkedin, Facebook, professional and community associations, job-hunt groups, and job fairs in the particular area (Roanoke) provide connections and company and job opportunity information.
• Expand your online presence – Incorporate core keywords that link to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc. Find companies and better jobs, or distribute your resume, on Twitter.
• Utilize ALL job search tools, resources, and methods – Do more than just check job boards. Remember recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates, so keep your network information/resume up to date.
• Be positive. Have a plan. Follow up on leads. Practice interviewing.
• Update your resume and personal/professional reference list.