Jobs in Riverhead, NY
- 184,793 Resumes
- 4,133 Jobs Available
- 33,777 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Riverhead, New York, sits in Suffolk County on the northern shore of Long Island. If you hop onto the Orient Point-New London Ferry, you can get a ride all the way to Boston. This information can be interesting to those unfamiliar with the location, but as you search for jobs in Riverhead you need to learn more about the economic outlook of the area. Gather preliminary information about the job market, career tips and salary data.
The job market in Suffolk County is promising, especially when you compare the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent to the county unemployment rate of 4.3 percent. The top performing industries in Riverhead include trade, transportation and utilities; education and health services; government; professional and business services; and leisure and hospitality. Of these five, education and health services has seen the most growth in the past year at 4.6 percent. The largest occupations are retail salesperson, office clerk, janitor and cashier. The jobs in Riverhead have the same average weekly wage as the entire United States. The average weekly wage in Suffolk County and in the United States is $1,048.
Your resume is an important aspect of finding jobs. Without a professional-looking and error-free resume, obtaining a job is almost impossible. Use these tips to ensure you create a resume that will standout:
1. Use numbers whenever you can, so you can clearly show potential employers how much money you saved, how many people you supervised and the percentage that you increased sales by.
2. Try to put your information in an order that is important to the hiring manager. For example, you education should go name of the degree and name of the major, the university or college name, the city and state of the institution, graduation year and then supplementary information.
3. Avoid sharing anything that could be considered too personal, such as your age, marital status, social security number, salary information, religious views and things of that nature.
4. As a new college grad, you can list sports you participated in.
5. You do not have to list references on your resume.
Finding jobs in Riverhead may be a little easier than in the rest of the country, but it can still be a challenge for those jobseekers who don’t know what sort of actions to take. Use these five tips to help you through your job search:
1. Make a job search schedule. Your first instinct may be to start scouring online job posting sites and newspapers for job openings. However, it will be better for you to make a weekly or even daily schedule of job-search related activities. This type of schedule will ensure that you stay on track and stay motivated throughout your job search.
2. Get organized. Another part of your pre-search strategy should be to make some sort of organizational plan. Many jobseekers choose to use a spreadsheet to keep track of where they have applied to, when they sent in their resume, what companies they’ve heard back from and the like.
3. Use available tools. Many jobseekers forget how many tools there are to help them find jobs in Riverhead. You can go to job centers, take online assessments, talk with people in your network, join professional clubs and attend workshops. All of these activities will help you learn how to better promote yourself and give you an idea of what jobs are available.
4. Think about your options. Before you can be successful in finding a job, you have to know what you’re looking for. Consider doing an informational interview to learn more about a company or new career field. Think about the skills you have and the skills that you want to use.
5. Look for jobs. Finally, you have to take the time to really look. Go to job fairs, look at online job banks, read the newspaper and talk to people in your network. Looking in all of these different avenues will give you a better chance of finding an opportunity that is right for you.