Your resume is a chance for you to ascend above other legal secretary applicants. As a high school diploma is required for a legal secretary, list it on your resume in the education section. And if you have an associate’s degree or some form of postsecondary education, include those as well. As employers place a high premium on certain skillsets and experience, distinguish yourself from other applicants by showcasing the right ones in your resume. For instance, it’s widely accepted that communications and administrative skills are important to on-the-job success, so you’d want to absolutely find a way to bring these abilities to light. See our legal secretary resume example for more tips.
Legal Secretary Advice
Looking for a position as a legal secretary? You’ll need the right resume, and our resume examples can help. A legal secretary helps prepare and file legal documents, and often takes on managerial duties. The resume examples we’ve developed highlight the skills and attributes you’ll want to include in your legal secretary resume. Click on any of the resume examples shown below to get started today.
Resume Tips for Legal Secretary
Finding jobs as a legal secretary is an easier task when you take the right action steps. The advice below can help you reach your career goals in a competitive job market.
1. Mix creativity with proactivity. Utilize your LinkedIn and personal network to obtain company information and contact hiring managers. Send brief emails to hiring managers by addressing their needs and offering solutions on how you can solve them.
2. Maximize the way you use Twitter. For example, use position specific keywords in your profile. When sending tweets include a link to your website, resume, blog, Facebook or LinkedIn profile. Also send tweets referencing the latest news and developments in your industry. Show your personality online but keep it professional.
3. Combine a variety of online job-search methods. Increasingly, recruiters on posting job openings on social media as opposed to traditional job boards. Find jobs as a legal secretary using LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
4. Prepare for a lengthy job search. Keep a positive mindset and stay focused on your career goals. Identify your strongest gifts, talents and skills. Improve in the areas that are needed and maintain your self-confidence for jobs as a legal secretary.
5. Work on your interview skills by practicing with someone. Practice answering the most common questions. For instance, employers often want job candidates to describe themselves. Identify your strengths and be clear on what you want them to know, so you can share your personal traits with confidence.
Legal Secretary Job Seeking Tips
The digital age has changed the way job seekers find employment, but what has not changed is the need for a resume. A high-quality resume makes hunting for jobs as a legal secretary easier. These do’s and don’ts will help you stand out from the competition.
1. Do know that the purpose of the resume is to get job interviews. So structure it in a way that focuses on the key information that relates to that specific employer and/or position.
2. Do adhere to the two unbreakable rules. The first is no misspelled words or typos. The second is don’t lie about anything, especially your qualifications and work experience.
3. Do consider saving the resume as a Portable Document Format (PDF). There are employers who prefer you email your resume in this format because it is protected against viruses, and it is compatible with all computer operating systems.
4. Don’t forget to mention your previous job locations, meaning city and state. Employers expect you to include this information when you are applying for jobs as a legal secretary.
5. Don’t use the words like Responsible for, Duties included or Responsibilities included. Instead use phrases that are accomplishment-oriented.
No Experience Legal Secretary Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Legal Secretary job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Legal Secretary resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.