If you’re hoping to advance your career in a field or industry where a professional demeanor is expected, our proper resume template may be the tool you need to move forward. Look through the example below to become familiar with the best type of format for highlighting your achievements, qualifications and job experience. Draw from the information provided in the professional tips to ensure that you’re using best practices. Get started on your own impressive document with the direction of the proper resume template.
Select a resume template and customize
Tips for Personalizing Your Proper Resume Template
Your resume is used by hiring professionals to determine what you can offer them. As these professionals scan through several similar documents, they’ll be looking for the candidates who have the most to offer their organization. Use the tips below to personalize our proper resume template, ensuring that you’ve provided the most valuable information about yourself.
1. Use a summary statement rather than a standalone objective. Employers understand that you’re looking for a job; you want to use this statement to quickly show that you’re the right candidate.
2. Begin the summary with a personal branding statement. Research shows that this “hook” will increase the value of your resume. Choose a mix of your professional title, work-related accomplishments and hard and soft skills in this concise statement.
3. Use specific keywords to make it past Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) filters. The ATS method is used by many employers to filter resumes. If you’re submitting an electronic application, you’ll want to include keywords in the exact format used in the job description.
4. Another tip for making it through the ATS filter is to use a format that the computer can read easily. For example, list your experience with this format: company name, job title and then dates. Limit your use of special characters, graphics, extra spacing and borders or shading.
5. Use specific accomplishments to impress potential employers. This means focusing on your actions that resulted in measurable and beneficial outcomes. Professionals are often thinking in terms of time, money and amounts. Use numbers to quantify the positive impact you’ve had in your past work experiences.
6. Avoid exaggerating your accomplishments. Using specific numbers and measurements is a great way to impress hiring personnel while also helping you resist the urge to embellish or misrepresent your abilities.