Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
In the competitive job market, a strong resume is more than a list of experiences. It is also a conversation starter and, if effectively structured, will catch the attention of a hiring manager to continue the conversation in an interview. With this program coordinator resume template for Word, build a narrative out of your employment history and motivating characteristics that will convey you as a perfect fit for the job you seek. This guide will cover the few sections in your resume, such as the summary statement, skills section, work history section and education section.
Writing Your Summary Statement
The summary statement is the top-most item on the resume. It is the location where you start telling the story of who you are, what skills you have and how they set you apart. Crafting this statement carefully will greatly improve your odds for getting callback interviews. Follow these tips as you utilize the program coordinator resume template for Word:
• Craft this with specific, high-level information that the rest of the resume expounds upon
• Use either sentences or bullet points, but only use three
• Describe unique motivations rather than the steps it takes to complete the job
Here are a few examples:
Program coordinator with a decade of experience in corporate environments. Adept at integrating process software to improve the workflow and communication of large distributed teams. High ownership of program, with an ability to grow that ownership and accountability to the rest of the team.
Government contract specialist. Experienced in integrating internal and external teams to frequently changing specifications. Motivated by prioritizing early and redundant communication to avoid high-stress project completion.
Production coordinator with 15 years of experience with broadcast news. Utilize/maximize software integrations between distributed reporters and in-house producers to keep team up to date on the most recent developments. Calm in the face of breaking news and faster news cycles.
● Five years’ experience in academic settings
● Coordinate experience between several departments with different academic calendars
● Highly communicative with research-focused professors
Writing Your Skills Section
The skills section allows you to extrapolate on the narrative outlined in the summary. These general skills are meant to be attention grabbers. As they are also listed at the top in the program coordinator resume template for Word, they serve as another motivator for the hiring manager to dig deeper into the resume and give you an interview. Keep these tips in mind as you come up with your best skills:
• Keep the most important skills at the top
• Feel free to include hard skills relevant to particular software or corporate responsibilities, as well as soft skills in this section
• Pull skills directly from the job description if they are ones you have
You might include any of the following skills or use them as inspiration for your own list:
● Law and government domain expertise
● Database user interface and query software
● Customer and personal service
● Calendar and scheduling software
● Timely judgment and decision making
● Leadership in a diverse team environment
Writing Your Work History Section
In the work history section, you can get to the real meat and stellar points of what made you excel in your last positions. These successes should be chosen to highlight your ability to meet the requirements of the job you are currently seeking. Here are some helpful tips:
• Be concise as you write, using words and phrases from the job description
• Select the most heavy-hitting and important duties and responsibilities from your past work that are relevant to the job, focusing on any promotions and additional responsibilities
• Include any metric data, such as how many team members you supervised or how much money you saved
With this program coordinator resume template for Word, you’ll be able to shape your experience to drive home the most captivating points of your personal story. Here are a few examples of some descriptions you might include in your work history section:
● Organized conference with 12 speakers and 500 attendees
● Improved team process, reducing number of meetings and increasing independent work time
● Coordinated externally facing project, necessitating frequent communication between internal teams and external individuals
● Supervised three interns who were later hired after graduation
Writing Your Education Section
The importance of the education section depends on the position for which you are applying. Other types of education may be included, such as certifications and trainings, if they are relevant to the position. With the aid of the program coordinator resume template for Word and the following tips, discover how best to showcase your academic accomplishments.
• Exclude high school education if a college degree is provided.
• Start with your most recent and highest level of education, and work backwards from there
• You may exclude graduating year information if it has been some time, and only include GPA if you are a recent graduate
Here are some examples:
37 credits toward a Master’s in Business Management – 2015 – 2017
Harvard Business School – Boston, Massachusetts
Courses included: Technology & operations management; business, government and the international economy; and leadership and corporate accountability
Bachelor of Arts, Human and Organizational Development – 2005
Vanderbilt University – Nashville, TN
Project Management Certification – 2006