Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
When it comes to choosing which candidate to hire, employers rely heavily on the resumes they receive. This means to improve your chances of being hired, you should focus on creating the strongest resume possible. Use this maintenance supervisor resume template for Word to get started on your own document. You should be sure that you follow the specific formatting standards for your summary statement, experience section, education section and skills section to meet employers’ expectations.
Writing Your Summary Statement
The summary is the first thing a potential employer will read, so you need to form a strong initial impression. Your goal should be to encourage readers to continue through the rest of your resume. The following tips and the maintenance supervisor resume template for Word will help you nail the expected format for this section.
• Write in first person, but without any personal pronouns
• Aim to keep the summary brief; stick to three sentences
• Incorporate information from throughout your entire resume in your summary
As you see in these examples, your summary can be a paragraph or bulleted list:
Talented maintenance supervisor with 10 years of working experience. Capable leadership abilities and communication skills. Professional who prioritizes completing maintenance work correctly every time.
• Organized and professional maintenance expert confident in supervisory positions
• More than 10 years of experience in the maintenance field
• Analytical mind and strong attention to small details
Experienced maintenance professional with talent for providing instruction and guidance. Confident filling a position of leadership and managing all aspects of a maintenance team. Strong administrative capabilities to ensure the most effective and efficient work possible.
• Results-driven maintenance supervisor with an extensive background in mechanical engineering
• Familiar employing maintenance techniques as well as overseeing an entire maintenance crew
• Excellent communicator with both written and verbal skills
Writing Your Skills Section
The skills section is usually the second part of your resume. It should be written in such a way for employers to understand your abilities at just a quick glance. Additionally, it is very beneficial to include keywords or phrases from the job description in this section. This strategy demonstrates that you read the posting carefully and considered the information found in it, and paints you as the perfect fit for the position.
• You should have between five and eight bullet points in this section
• Only include a skill if it relates directly to the position for which you are applying
• Each bullet point can be a single word or a short phrase; do not include periods
The above maintenance supervisor resume template for Word includes an example skills section. The following are some additional samples:
• Excellent management and leadership
• Experience with training and development
• Critical thinking and evaluation
• Professional communication
• Mechanical engineering knowledge
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section is commonly considered the most important part of a resume. Be sure the information found in this section is as strong as possible. Employers also have specific formatting expectations, so you should follow closely the example in the maintenance supervisor resume template for Word.
• Always begin each bullet point with a strong action verb that captures what you did in that position
• Describe your previous jobs in past tense and use present tense for currently held positions
• Aim for five to eight bullet points for each position; you can include more or less depending on how important each position was
• Include real metrics to strengthen your resume and add credibility
Here are several work history entry examples that demonstrate the best format:
• Oversee maintenance operations to ensure all work is completed efficiently and correctly
• Provide guidance to maintenance team, correcting ineffective or incorrect actions
• Create a schedule of tasks and delegate assignments based on individual talent
• Check maintenance work after completion to ensure machinery is safe to operate
Writing Your Education Section
The education section is usually the shortest part of a professional resume. As you see in the maintenance supervisor resume template for Word, it is typically located at the end of the document.
• Include the date of graduation, field of study and name of the school
• Leave out high school information unless it is your only education or is requested specifically in the job description
• Make an impact by mentioning relevant internships or certificates in your education section
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering – 2014
University of Reno, Nevada
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering – 2012
University of Carson City, Nevada
Master of Science in Engineering, estimated completion 2018
University of San Diego, California
Bachelor of Science in Engineering – 2014
University of San Diego, California