Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
It is common for hiring managers to rely on the resumes they receive to decide which candidates to call back for an interview. This means that using this elegant resume template for Word to improve yours as much as possible is a wise strategy. Not only will these writing guides and visual example help you craft an effective summary, skills section, work history section and education section, referencing these will allow you to manage the visual appearance of your resume and meet employers’ expectations.
Writing Your Summary Statement
The summary is the first thing employers will read, which means it will form their first impression of you. Do not assume that it is guaranteed for an employer to read your resume in its entirety. If they lose interest in you, they will stop reading. Your summary is your hook, so you need to focus on creating a section that will immediately catch their attention and encourage them to read on. Use their job description to get insight into what an employer is looking for specifically.
• Write in first person without personal pronouns
• Aim for about three sentences to keep it brief
• Include 2-3 skills from throughout your resume
Along with the elegant resume template for Word, the following examples demonstrate both ways of formatting your summary statement:
Talented and charismatic customer service representative with more than 10 years of experience working in the service industry. Excellent communication abilities, including interpersonal and professional. A candidate that combines critical thinking skills with strong negotiation and conflict resolution capabilities.
• Project manager with a successful history in positions of leadership and management
• Confident leading an entire team and overseeing all aspects of office operation
• Strong perception and evaluation skills, attention to small details
Maintenance expert holding nearly five years’ experience in the maintenance technician position. Extensive history in mechanical engineering and thorough understanding of machinery upkeep. Experienced in management role, ensuring maintenance team completes tasks effectively.
Writing Your Skills Section
The skills section is typically quite short. Your goal should be for the information to be understood at a moment’s glance. Use the elegant resume template for Word to write your own skills section.
• Aim for between five and eight bullet points in this section
• Only include skills that relate to the position you are applying for directly
• Each bullet point can take the form of a single word or a short phrase
Here are some common skill choices for an administrative assistant resume:
• Neat and organized
• Attention to small details
• Talented multi-tasker
• Administrative familiarity
• Critical thinking, evaluation and analysis
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section is one of the most important parts of your resume because employers are most interested in your previous working experience. You should make sure that this section is the longest and includes the strongest information possible. There are also specific formatting expectations, so follow these tips closely:
• List your previous jobs in reverse order, beginning with the most recent
• Typically, each position should have 5-8 bullet points, although you can vary from this number based on how important each job is
• Write this section in past tense, with the exception of currently held positions, which should be in present tense
In addition to the elegant resume template for Word, you can use these examples to better understand how to craft a strong work history section. Remember that these are abbreviated examples, and that a full section should be much longer.
• Interact with clients, closing sales, answering inquires and using negotiation techniques to sell products
• Build long-lasting relationships with customers, implementing interpersonal communication strategies
• Fulfilled administrative responsibilities, including making copies and filing documents
• Greeted guests as they arrive and create appointments to maintain an efficient schedule
• Oversee all interaction with assigned clients to ensure proper service is provided at all times
• Resolve issues when individual sales representatives are unable to
Writing Your Education Section
The education section is most effective when it is short and can be scanned quickly. The elegant resume template for Word includes a segment dedicated to writing an education section that is short, but effective.
• Only include relevant academic accomplishments. This means high school information is rarely required
• It is typical to include the name of the school, date of graduation and type of degree
• Mentioning any relevant internships or certificates is a good idea
Follow this example when writing your education section:
Master of Science in Business Administration – 2014
University of San Francisco, California
Bachelor of Science in Communication – 2012
University of San Francisco, California
Using Action Verbs in Your Elegant Resume
As you can see in the elegant resume template for Word, every bullet point in the work history section always begins with a strong action verb. This is considered standard and nearly all employers will be expecting this. To make sure your work history section is as strong as it possibly can be, always use a verb for the first word. The following are some excellent verb choices:
• Manage an entire team of sales representatives
• Perform maintenance on manufacturing machinery after use
• Create sales reports that included in-depth details of profits
• Organize and lead training workshops to establish new policies
• Present performance information at monthly board meetings
Adding Metrics to Your Elegant Resume
One aspect that can really make a resume stand out from the crowd is the use of strong metrics. The elegant resume template for Word shows how you can prioritize this. Providing concrete numbers adds credibility to your application, as well as giving employers a better idea of exactly what kind of employee you would be if they hired you. After all, their main concern when making the decision of who to hire is which candidate will be most beneficial to the company.
Use the following examples to understand just how more effective bullet points with metrics can be:
WITHOUT METRIC: Answered inquiries and provided information to guests
WITH METRIC: Interacted with more than 45 guests daily, answering inquiries and providing information
WITHOUT METRIC: Established new policies to improve work efficiency
WITH METRIC: Established new policies to improve work efficiency by nearly 15 percent
WITHOUT METRIC: Increased sales numbers each year for several years consecutively
WITH METRIC: Increased sales numbers by 10 percent each year for three consecutive years