Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
Administrative support hiring managers review hundreds of resumes hoping to find the most qualified applicant. The more your resume stands out from the crowd, the better your chances are of being invited for an interview. Our administrative support resume template for Word can help you create a professionally written document that grabs the attention of recruiters. This guide was designed to make the process of drafting your resume stress-free and easy by separating writing tips into the summary, skills, work history, and education sections.
Writing Your Summary Statement
A strong summary statement can persuade the reader that your application merits assessment. Use phrases and keywords commonly found in administrative support job descriptions that align with your qualifications to write a few bullet points or sentences. Make sure to include your job title, top two or three talents, and appropriate achievements and expertise. Use our administrative support resume template for Word to write a unique and professional summary statement similar to one of these examples.
Summary Statement Example 1:
Proactive and highly-skilled administrative assistant with six years of hands-on expertise in diverse office environments. Works collaboratively with other team members and communicates effectively with management and peers. Proven success in using Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and QuickBooks.
Summary Statement Example 2:
• Enthusiastic and motivated administrative assistant with exceptional ability to perform clerical tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven customer service acumen
• Solid academic and professional achievements with capability to support executives
Summary Statement Example 3:
• Results-oriented administrative assistant with strong track record of developing and maintaining positive relationships with coworkers and clients
• Exceptional organizational and customer service skills
Summary Statement Example 4:
• Energetic administrative assistant with demonstrated ability to facilitate events
• Highly proficient computer skills in all aspects of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Expert communicator with multitasking talents and the ability to complete assignments ahead of schedule
Writing Your Skills Section
By listing skills on your resume, you provide recruiters a chance to realize your strengths with just a quick glance. You’ll perform best during an interview when you discuss your strongest skills, so make sure to include those in your list. Use the following best practices to create this section to highlight your competencies and grab the attention of hiring managers:
• Limit bullet points to your top five to seven industry-relevant skills for the targeted position.
• Borrow language and keywords from the job description to relate requirements with your expertise.
• Summarize each qualification briefly and concisely.
Following is a list of skills that you might consider adopting when filling out the administrative support resume template for Word:
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and QuickBooks
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Expert record maintenance, events and travel coordination, and inventory management
• Superior talent for greeting customers and managing multicultural interactions
• Arranges travel for executive leadership
• Takes meeting minutes and transcribes dictation accurately and promptly
• Handles correspondence and responds to customer requests
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section lists your previous employers, your duties, and your achievements. When listing accomplishments, be precise and use metrics wherever feasible. Add action verbs to tailor descriptions to the job posting. Use the administrative support resume template for Word for help writing this part of your resume:
Administrative Assistant at Pacific Industries / 2011 Ð Present / Portland, OR
• Organized travel schedules and booked reservations for all levels of executive leadership.
• Scheduled and confirmed meetings and appointments, resulting in a 15% increase in productivity and revenue.
• Created and implemented processes for automated distribution of regular internal electronic mail.
Office Coordinator at Cook Corporation / 2009 Ð 2011 / Salem, OR
• Maintained inventory and ordered supplies to streamline office productivity.
• Achieved Employee of the Month award for three months in a row.
Office Assistant at Green Star / 2008 Ð 2009 / Hillsboro, OR
• Greeted visitors and resolved problems.
• Utilized statistics and other data to support research activities.
• Reorganized front desk procedures, decreasing customer wait times by 25%.
Administrative Clerk at Comcast Communications / 2007 Ð 2008 / Beaverton, OR
• Designed new strategies for responding to complaints, increasing retention by 30%.
• Prepared and proofread reports, correspondence, and invoices before distribution.
Writing Your Education Section
Providing your academic background gives hiring managers an idea of your career progression and the potential for success in the role. Use these best practices to list your education.
• Place your highest level of education first, then any others in chronological order.
• List the most recent seminar or training session you attended.
• Leave off your GPA unless you recently graduated.
Follow our administrative support resume template for Word as a guide for help writing this section.
Associate in Applied Sciences / Portland, OR
Portland Community College / General Education / 2005 Ð 2007
Certified Administrative Assistant / Portland, OR
International Association of Administrative Professionals / 2007