These job-search resources to maximize your social job search are part
of the Quintessential Careers 2012 Annual Job-Hunting Report:
Social Job Search Now Features 3Rs: Referrals Recommendations and Real-World Challenges. All of these resources were published between February 2011 and March 2012.
- How Facebook Can Help You Win the Job-Search War: Jacqui Barrett-Poindexter offers five suggestions on how to best use Facebook to propel — and not derail — your job search goals.
- Yes Facebook Can Help You Find Your Next Job: Barb Safani of CareerSolvers rebuts common excuses for not using Facebook for job search.
- 7 Reasons Why Recruiters Like Facebook More Than LinkedIn: Mashable’s Erica Swallow makes a case for why recruiters prefer interacting with students and graduates via Facebook rather than LinkedIn.
- How to Job Search on the New Facebook: Heather Huhman talks about how to job-hunt on Facebook despite the platform’s ongoing evolution.
- Facebook Timeline | your story makeover — basic: Though not specifically targeted at job-seeker’s Limor Shiponi tells how a user’s timeline can project a professional image.
- The Job Hunt: Put Your Facebook Profile to Work: Leslie Meredith offers a few profile basics for job-seekers.
- Job Searching On Facebook: There Are Many Apps For That: Heather Huhman reviews some well-known job-search app mashups with Facebook.
- More Ways to Use Facebook for Your Job Search: More ideas from Huhman on deploying Facebook in the search.
- How to Use Facebook for Your Job Search: Tony Morrison offers several ways to use Facebook in searching for a job.
- Top 55 Most Popular Facebook Pages for Job Search: Hugely helpful list of Facebook pages job-seekers should consider “liking.”
- On Facebook Home Depot Is an Open Book as it Expands its Recruitment Branding: A different perspective — this article directed at employers tells what an employer Facebook page can be and tells how job-seekers are interacting with employers on such pages.
- Stop Lying! And The Nine Other Mistakes You’re Making On LinkedIn: Meghan Casserly on the biggest mistakes job-seekers are making on the world’s most successful social business network.
- 29 Biggest LinkedIn Mistakes: Even more mistakes these from Meg Guiseppi.
- How To Empower Yourself on The New LinkedIn: Haydn Shaughnessy writes on Forbes suggests three steps for creating new ties converting weak ties into strong ones and building a network that opens up new opportunities.
- How to use Linkedin to be found by Headhunters and Hirers: 10 tips on how you can be found.
- HOW TO: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile: Erica Swallows
provides her take on making the most of your profile.
- How to Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile For High SEO Rankings: Un-bylined step-by-step guide to getting high rankings in search engines.
- LinkedIn: 5 changes to make to your profile today: Amy Levin-Epstein’s quintet of suggestions to make your profile much more effective.
- How To Add Sections & Applications To Enhance Your LinkedIn Profile: Jacqui Barrett-Poindexter on enhancing your profile with additional sections.
- How to use LinkedIn to jump-start your job search: Q&A session is with Joshua Waldman of CareerEnlightenment.com on LinkedIn and other job-search topics.
- How to Use the New Apply with LinkedIn Button: Miriam Salpeter tells how to best take advantage of the opportunity to apply using Apply with Linkedin.
- 10 Signs You Are Being Lazy On LinkedIn: Tim Tyrell-Smith on how people miss out on the real value of using LinkedIn.
- Nine Ways To Use LinkedIn To Advance Your Career: Susan Adams calls her article “an all-levels tip list aimed at those who are still timid about taking the LinkedIn plunge and others who might want to use more advanced tools and check out new features. “
- How to Optimize Linkedin for Job Search: Craig Fisher offers a recruiter’s view of how to use LinkedIn in the job search.
- Why You Must Post a Photo on LinkedIn (and Which One to Choose): From BlueSky Resumes on why profiles with photos are more effective.
- 10 LinkedIn Tips For Job Seekers And Career Shifters: Sital Ruparelia’s tips.
- HOW TO: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile’s New Skills Section: Mashable’s Sharlyn Lauby tells how to make the most of a section that highlights skills languages patents certifications and publications.
- LinkedIn Job Hunting: What if a Potential Employer Views Your Profile?: Andrew G. Rosen argues for the value of a LinkedIn premium account.
- 5 Really Cool Secrets I Learned to Leverage LinkedIn in the Job Search: Takeaways Susan Whitcomb learned from a workshop by LinkedIn expert Jason Alba.
- Your Twitter account: A recruiter’s perspective: Tim Heard asked an experienced recruiter what recruiters look for in your tweets; Heard reports on what he said.
- Twitter Chats for Job Seekers: Tim Tyrell-Smith reached out to three people who co-moderate some of the best Twitter chats for job search and career help. He offers their tips.
Other Social-Media Platforms
- 3 Ways to Use Quora to Improve Your Personal Brand: James Alexander tells how to use the question-and-answer site to improve your online image and brand?.
- 4 Additional Resources to Improve Your Personal Brand: James Alexander lists less-well-known platforms that can help you improve your online image “particularly if you’re in the market for changing things up in your career.”
- 5 Ways to Use Pinterest To Wow Your Dream Employer: Brie Reynolds suggests tactics such as putting your resume on Pinterest as a portfolio and following the pinboards of career experts.
- Job-hunting With Pinterest pros and cons: Marissa
Brassfield takes a balanced view of the value of Pinterest for job search.
- Is Pinterest The New LinkedIn For Job Seekers?: Meghan Casserly takes on a skeptical view of using Pinterest in the job search: “While putting your interests on display and learning how to speak to a prospective employer are important” she says “can either trick actually land you a job? … are employers really combing Pinterest for candidates?”
Resources that Cover Multiple Social-Media Venues Blogs and Other Online and Offline Content
- Job search is a social exercise: A collection of slideshows on SlideShare to familiarize users with social media and how to use it in the job search.
- What Works — and Doesn’t — in a Social Media-Based Job Hunt: Erica Moss describes some of the flashier social-media job search campaigns.
- 51+ Essential Resources for the Digitally Savvy Job Hunter: Stephanie Buck’s uber-helpful list of job resources targeted for the digital pro.
- Job Searching with Social Media: Infographic and more that shows how candidates and recruiters are using social media. From Jeff Bullas.
- Job Seekers Getting Googled: William Arruda has identified two additional factors that searchers use to evaluate the people they Google — purity and diversity.
- 3 Social Networking Profiles That Will Determine Whether Or Not You Get Hired: James Alexander on optimizing profiles on the Big 3: LinkedIn Facebook and Twitter
- How To Build Social Credibility During Job Search: Tim Tyrell-Smith tells how to give people a reason to invest in your the job-seeker.
- How to Ensure You’re Visible to Employers and Recruiters Online: James Alexander describes how job-seekers can take care of their online presence for the benefit of their future careers.
- Here’s the drill for using social media to get hired: Virginia Backaitis talked to leading recruiters staffing experts networking coaches and others and created a step-by-step guide — a job-seeker’s boot camp.
Job Site/Job Board Cautions
- How to Escape the Job Application Black Hole: Tony Morrison notes that because the process is broken job-seekers need to work harder to stand out and garner employer attention.
- How to spot a good job board: Although this article is directed at recruiters Chris Russell’s signs that the job board is not worth using can also apply to job-seekers.
- Signs You’ve Been Duped By A Job Posting: Tony Morrison describes how to protect yourself from scams and job postings that are simply too good to be true.