Skilled Phlebotomist with more than 18 years of experience in fast-paced hospitals. Expert in quickly and accurately collecting specimens using variety of venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques. Exceptional bedside manner and adept in easing patients' fears or anxieties.
• Perform order entry, specimen collection, and processing according to work instructions (WI), clarify clinician orders; obtain pertinent patient information; accurately identify patients; determine specimen requirements and collect patient sample using appropriate process of venipuncture or capillary collection based on patient age and/or condition.
• Assure completeness and accuracy of specimen labeling.
• Obtain and enter appropriate patient or specimen information into laboratory computer system.
• Provide good customer service to all members.
• Prioritize workload according to urgency of request; coordinate activities of the phlebotomy and laboratory service/technical assistant workgroups to meet operational service needs.
• Act as resource for medical or laboratory staff.
• Provide information and facilitate specimen or order problem investigation and resolution.
• Using appropriate resources make decisions as required for sample collection and patient processing.
• Facilitate communication between phlebotomists and laboratory service/technical assistants in problem solving and member assistance, triaging to supervisor as needed.
• Provide instructions to physicians, nursing staff, and patients in proper specimen collection, answering related questions accurately.
• Evaluate, process, and coordinate specimens for testing and/or shipping by following applicable WI.
• Centrifuge, aliquot, separate, refrigerate, freeze, or handle specimens as required to maintain specimen integrity.
• Consult computer information for special handling instructions, referring questions to client services or technical specialist(s) for additional handling or shipping instructions when indicated. Complete appropriate forms as applicable.
• Use laboratory computer system to obtain patient demographics, perform order entry, enter pertinent clinical information, generate barcode labels, and ensure tracking of each test ordered and each specimen collected and/or received.
• Use laboratory information computer system to track specimens.
• Perform all duties required of laboratory service/technical assistant.
• Remain current in new and revised work instructions and lab and organizational policies.
• Support department workflow and records maintenance through accurate workload recording, quality assurance monitors, supply inventory, quality control checks, and records.
Functioned as the primary resource to Kaiser Permanente NW region Internal/external providers, medical support staff, lab staff, and patients. Responded to inquiries about physician orders, lab testing requirements and results. Proficient in the processes of all facets to lab testing, specimen collection and able to provide clear concise communication consistent with quality of service expected by customers. Utilized the lab information systems, (HealthConnect, Cerner PathNet, CoPath) for medical orders and lab result management, and conduct online research for referral testing requests. Investigate and resolve, or coordinate resolution for, complex issues that may result in delayed testing and/or may have potential impact on patient care.
• Assess competency through direct observation, testing and discussions with the learner
• Establish and maintain a flexible training schedule to assure each learner's needs are met
• Provide on-site training of new safety products
• Communicate weekly with work unit management and, as needed, laboratory managers, coordinators and specialists concerning progress of learners; including weekly updates, schedule changes, attendance, learning difficulties, mentoring needs etc.
• Complete and distribute learner's skill assessment and Learning Event Document
• Maintain individual exercises, quizzes and training programs tailored per job, as established by the Pre-Analytical Specialist
• Process training and schedule requests
• Establish and maintain employee training file
• Perform initial and annual competencies on current laboratory staff as needed
• Assist the Pre-Analytical Specialist with development, validation and review of Work Instructions to assure they meet current practices and regulations
• Provide information for pre-analytical staff on procedure and policy updates
• Act as a resource for laboratory staff and clinicians
• Provide information to facilitate problem investigation and resolution
• Instruct clinicians and nursing staff in proper phlebotomy specimen collection
• Facilitate communication between Phlebotomists and Laboratory Technical Assistants in problem solving and member assistance, triaging to supervisor and/or technical specialist as needed
• Coordinate activities of learners, Phlebotomists and Laboratory Technical Assistants to meet operational service needs
• Serve as a resource for frontline staff and pre-analytical questions and concerns
• Provide support to pre-analytical staff by performing the duties of the Phlebotomist or Laboratory Technical Assistant as needed
• Develop and maintain proficiency in use of the Clinical Laboratory Information System
• Provide clarification of work instructions to laboratory staff
• Orient students who are performing externships to KPNW organizational policies regarding patient safety, HIPAA confidentiality and employee safety
• Orient students to phlebotomy procedures and equipment
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held: