What to Include in a Worker Resume
The three accepted resume formats are chronological, functional and combination, and while they serve job seekers differently, the have the same basic resume structure in common. The recommended sections for any resume are:
- Contact info (name/phone/email)
- Resume summary statement
- Work experience
*The accomplishments section is added if you decide to use the functional style.
- The chronological style focus on the work experience section and works best for those with no employment gaps and a traditional career path
- The functional format allows you to separate your accomplishments from previous employers and is especially helpful for those with employment gaps or who want to emphasize their transferable skills in hopes of a career change
- A combination style resume is a third option that lets you take elements from both styles
How to Write the Worker Resume Summary Statement
What piques an employer’s interest? Seeing their job requirements jump off the page right off the bat, so in addition to worker resume samples, review the employer’s job description.
As truthfully as you can, mirror the employer’s needs in your summary and follow these writing guidelines:
- A summary should be no longer than 2-3 statements
- The statements should be incomplete sentences
- There should be no first-person pronouns in your summary or anywhere in your resume
To get a feel for the tone and construction of a well-written resume summary statement, read a few of them from the worker resume samples already identified. In addition, below are two resume summary examples from different industries:
Experienced refuse and recyclable material collector who has gone from a suburban route requiring lifting garbage cans by hand to collecting refuse from urban dumpsters using a hydraulic lift. Qualified to operate modern recycling truck as well as train new employees. Have maintained a sterling safety and attendance record and the physical stamina required for the job.
Construction laborer with experience on various construction sites including road crews with responsibility for operating breakers, jackhammers and earth tampers. Also assisted craftworkers like brickmasons, stonemasons and tile and marble setters by helping with moving equipment and tools, clean up and waste disposal. Experienced helper to pipelayers, plumbers and pipefitters.
- Computers & Technology
- Installation & Maintenance
- Real Estate
- Human Resources
- News & Media
- Food & Beverage
- Most Popular Resources
Let’s Get You Hired
Create a professional resume in minutes with Resume Builder.
How to Write the Worker Work Experience Section
If you go with the chronological style, you can begin the work experience section immediately following your resume summary. Your previous jobs should be listed in reverse chronological order with the following information: job title, employer and location, employment dates, and 2-3 accomplishments or responsibilities.
A typical job listing would look like this:
Harrington Products – Cleveland, OH
August 2011 to February 2016
- Responsible for moving materials from storage to production line in a timely fashion
- Unloaded cargo from trucks at loading dock
- Operated hand-held scanner to ensure product accuracy and accountability
If, however, you’ve decided that the functional style suits you better, now is the time to insert the accomplishments section. If you have difficult-to-explain employment gaps, are looking to change your career path, or you want to focus on your transferable skills, the added accomplishments section will allow you to focus on the skills and qualifications that match up with the employer’s job description.
By listing all of your career accomplishments in one section, you should be able to write at least 6-8 bullet points written similarly to the examples above. If at all possible, describe a situation where you identified a problem, came up with a solution, and had a positive impact on the employer.
Once you’ve illuminated your accomplishments, you can move on to the now bare-bones work experience section, which will be a simple list of job titles and employers. No need to mention employment dates or irrelevant jobs.
Refer to the worker resume samples for guidance if you choose to write a combination style resume.
Action Verbs to Include in Your Worker Work Experience Section
A quick review of the worker resume samples from your particular field will likely provide you with even more applicable action verbs.
How to Write the Worker Skills Section
Following is one example of how a skills section could be written:
Operation of tools:
- Liquid propane torches
- Electric boring machines
- Laser levels
- Circular saws
- Water spraying equipment
- Construction materials, methods and tools
- Public safety and security policies
- Arithmetic, algebra and geometry
- Active listing
- Reading comprehension
- Social perceptiveness
- Manual dexterity
- Near and far vision
- Physical stamina
- Static strength
- Coordinated finger movements in order to grasp, manipulate or assemble small objects
A quick review of worker resume samples may provide additional formatting suggestions.
How to Write the Worker Education Section
Furthermore, a technical or vocational school diploma or certification, or individual course work in mathematics, blueprint reading, or welding, will make you hard to resist.
An additional sub-heading in the education section, if it applies, would be apprenticeship programs. Since they can include up to 4 years of technical instruction and on-the-job-training, if you’re currently in a program, list it with the qualifier Å“in progress. Apprenticeships are offered by various organizations, like:
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Home Builders Institute
- Air Conditioning Contractors of America, Inc.
Depending on your particular field, you might have information to list under another sub-heading called Å“licenses, certifications and registrations, for example:
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL)
- Industry competency exam offered by North American Technician Excellence
- EPA certification offered by the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES)
- The National Center for Construction Education and Research offers certifications as Mobile Crane Operator and Rigger/Signal Person
Memberships might also matter, so create that sub-heading if you’re a member of a related organization like the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA).
Should I Include References in my Worker Resume
- First, adding references to your resume will make it longer than it needs to be
- Second, you don’t want to waste valuable resume space that would be better used to highlight your qualifications
- Third, you’ll know for sure the potential employer is interested when they request them
Your reference list should include 3-4 previous managers for whom you’ve worked and developed a good relationship. A shift foreman or front line supervisor who will testify to your work ethic and dependability will make a strong impression on a potential employer.
Worker Resume Fails: Mistakes to Avoid
- If you’ve listed an accomplishment where you identified a problem and came up with a solution, take a look at your wording. You don’t want to come off as a complainer or a malcontent, so make sure you describe the situation without placing blame. Always be positive.
- If you’ve gone to all the trouble to write your resume, the final step to make sure it’s polished and professional is to make sure it’s error free. It’s really hard to proofread you own work, so before you submit your resume electronically or print off numerous copies, have a friend proofread it.
- Don’t talk about what you’re looking for in an employer. You want the job. Instead of stating the obvious, tell the employer what you can do for them.
- If you’re applying online, be aware of the importance of using keywords. Keywords are the words used in the job description, and larger companies often use applicant tracking systems to detect these words in a resume. To get to a human being, you may have to satisfy an electronic gatekeeper first.
Job Prospects in the Worker Industry
Related Job Titles
- Adoption Social Worker Resume
- Advocacy Worker Resume
- After School Worker Resume
- Animal Care Worker Resume
- Asbestos Worker Resume
- Asphalt Worker Resume
- Assembly Line Worker Resume
- Auto Worker Resume
- Bakery Worker Resume
- Bindery Worker Resume
- Building Maintenance Worker Resume
- Cafeteria Worker Resume
- Cafe Worker Resume
- Child And Youth Worker Resume
- Child Case Worker Resume
- Child Protection Social Worker Resume
- Child Protection Worker Resume
- Child Welfare Social Worker Resume
- Coffee Shop Worker Resume
- Community Development Worker Resume
- Community Health Worker Resume
- Community Outreach Worker Resume
- Community Service Worker Resume
- Concession Stand Worker Resume
- Concrete Worker Resume
- Custodial Worker Resume
- Deli Worker Resume
- Direct Care Worker Resume
- Disability Support Worker Resume
- Domestic Worker Resume
- Family Service Worker Resume
- Fast Food Worker Resume
- Fedex Dock Worker Resume
- Food Service Worker Resume
- Food Worker Resume
- Foster Care Social Worker Resume
- Foundry Worker Resume
- General Maintenance Worker Resume
- General Utility Worker Resume
- General Warehouse Worker Resume
- Greenhouse Worker Resume
- Ground Worker Resume
- Group Home Worker Resume
- Hospice Social Worker Resume
- Humanitarian Aid Worker Resume
- Human Service Worker Resume
- Iron Worker Resume
- Landscape Worker Resume
- Laundry Worker Resume
- Medical Social Worker Resume
- Mill Worker Resume
- Occupational Safety And Health Inspector Resume
- Personal Care Worker Resume
- Pest Control Worker Resume
- Plant Nursery Worker Resume
- Plant Worker Resume
- Poll Worker Resume
- Production Line Worker Resume
- Refugee Worker Resume
- Residential Care Worker Resume
- Respite Worker Resume
- Restaurant Worker Resume
- Road Worker Resume
- Sanitation Worker Resume
- School Cafeteria Worker Resume
- Settlement Worker Resume
- Sheet Metal Worker Resume
- Steel Worker Resume
- Stock Worker Resume
- Store Worker Resume
- Student Worker Resume
- Track Worker Resume
- Tree Worker Resume
- Tss Worker Resume
- Utility Worker Resume
- Yard Worker Resume