Kristine Robinson lost her job as a costume stitcher at a prominent theater in Minneapolis when they were forced to shut down in March 2020. Fortunately, Robinson qualified for unemployment, and her husband kept his construction business running throughout the pandemic.
While she is nearing retirement, she's hopeful she'll get back to work when theaters roll out their holiday programs later this year.
Robinson is one of the thousands of women hoping to return to the entertainment industry after a year of mandatory lockdowns. In states like California, New York and Florida, entertainment activities are expected to increase 8% by 2026, and workers with knowledge of safety protocols who can offer a more curated entertainment experience tailored for individuals and small groups will have an advantage in the current market.
Jobs in this field are people-centered and focused on providing a pleasant experience. Boredom is rarely an issue, as you will be challenged with new problems to solve every day, from researching and booking venues to guiding customers and securing supplies. In this field, there are countless opportunities to use your creativity and make people happy.
Here are four jobs to consider as your entry point.
4 entertainment jobs women can get now
- Lobby attendant. This introductory role in the entertainment field is now extremely important as stadiums, theatres, and other venues need to hire more staff. Job duties include selling food and drinks to customers, handling money, monitoring and admitting people by collecting tickets or money, cleaning equipment, rides, booths, or grounds, answering any questions that people may have regarding rules, prices, and times and directing people to attractions upon request.
- Recreation supervisor. Focusing on communication and customer satisfaction is an integral part of this position. A recreation worker designs and leads leisure activities for groups in facilities such as playgrounds, parks, camps, and senior centers, all of which have to be adapted to new safety constraints depending on the number of patrons and the state in which they reside. Employees may be responsible for curating such activities as arts and crafts, sports, games, music, and camping. Enterprising individuals, possess good leadership qualities and enjoy helping others will do well in this role.
- Entertainment coordinator. This is a varied and dynamic position for someone who enjoys high-paced activities and facilitating fun experiences for others. To get hired, you'll need to have a proven record of organization, management, and strong people skills as no formal education is required. Still, work experience and social connections are a factor. Aiding charitable events or helping friends are great ways to build your portfolio and create a larger client platform.
- Tour guide. Employees in this role must be experts in their area of concentration. They have to answer specific questions about locations, their history, amenities, and artifacts. Effective communication skills are absolutely essential for a successful career in the industry. In addition, tour guides must be highly organized, punctual, and ready to deal with various situations. Writing, public speaking, and being physically fit are also important factors for this position which carries an average starting salary of $29,507 a year.
How to write an entertainment resume
Now you're ready to write your resume. There are three different resume formats you'll want to consider:
Functional resume format: Best when you're new to the industry or have significant gaps in employment
Entry-level jobs in this field tend to emphasize skills over experience and the functional resume is the perfect way to do just that. Be sure to put forward your excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Here's an example of what a functional food service resume might look like:
Combination resume format: Perfect when you want to put equal emphasis on your skills and work experience
A combination resume is a great way to emphasize your technical skills as well as your relevant work experience. Remember to refer to the job description and look for words and phrases that align with your skills.
Here's an example of what a combination resume might look like:
Chronological resume format: Great when you can show solid career progression and clear achievements
Chronological resumes are best for showcasing your accomplishments in previous projects through a history of stellar work experience. Make sure to feature skills that show you're proficient with technical matters but also have the personality to succeed.
Here's an example of what a chronological resume might look like:
How to explain employment gaps on an entertainment resume
Employment gaps in the entertainment industry are easier to explain due to massive COVID closures of outlets and venues over the last year. As safety measures continue to improve and the industry begins to grow again, this is the opportunity for those who want to either return to their industry or explore something new to find employment.
Make sure to list relevant activities and ways you filled your time, such as:
- Becoming a Certified Tour Guide/Director or a Travel and Tourism Professional (TTP);
- Taking a local history course or teamwork improvement program; or
- Staying up to date on the latest COVID-era safety measures and recommendations.
Find an entertainment job with a flexible schedule
Getting a job in this field that works with your schedule can be challenging as performances and hours of operation are usually on a set schedule. That being said, some roles offer varying shifts, so depending on your level of experience you may find flexible opportunities. Introductory level entertainment positions can be found on the major job boards, but for more niche roles, networking is a factor along with looking at industry-specific job boards like Wynn Careers or PT Entertainment.
Finding a job that works for you and your schedule that also keeps you safe is very important. Building a resume that's tailored for jobs currently available is a major step in the right direction.
While this field is still experiencing some bumps along the way in terms of re-growth, travel and entertainment bring immense joy to people and have become an integral part of their lives. Starting by creating a resume that highlights your skills and experiences is the first step in this direction.