The work experience portion of every resume is critical, but it is especially important when you are applying for a job in business. Hiring managers want to know that you have achieved measurable goals and that you have the experience necessary to help their business thrive.
Your previous work experience should be listed when applying for a job in business, especially if those experiences have to do with financial transactions and being self-motivated. Along with great communication skills and demonstrating your knowledge about the company where you are applying for a business job, your work experience is an essential asset when applying for a new position.
What to Include in a Business Resume Work Experience Section
One important skill that you need to convey while writing a resume work experience section for a business job is your ability to provide clear written and oral communication. Show that you have excellent communication skills in your writing, presentations and speaking. If you had a previous job as a consultant, spin this experience to highlight your oral communication skills. If you worked as an administrative assistant editing and preparing speeches for your supervisor, include this relevant experience as well.
How to Format a Business Resume Work Experience Section
When writing a resume work experience section for a business position, there are multiple ways to show previous positions that you've held. If your work history in business is relatively short, you can use an ordered ranking of your previous jobs with the most relevant experiences listed first. If you have many years of experience working in business, a chronological listing of your jobs makes more sense when writing a resume work experience section. Use bullet points rather than paragraphs to include a mixture of your achievements and job duties. When possible, include quantitative or concrete achievements to demonstrate your success. For example, list a percentage by which you increased efficiency or reduced employee absences in your last office job.
Great Example of a Business Resume Work Experience Section
The following is a great example of writing a resume work experience section for someone looking to gain entry into the business world. By following this format of ranking your most relevant past experiences, you can show hiring managers that despite a lack of specific business experience, you have the skills they're looking for.
ABC Insurance, Flint, MI
May 2013 to Dec. 2014
- Assisted 120 customers annually with establishment of life insurance policies.
- Explained benefit options to clients.
- Answered phone and email questions about policy coverage.
- Helped customers link different insurance policies.
- Established communications with 20 new clients monthly.
XYZ Auto Insurance, Saginaw, MI
Dec. 2014 to Dec. 2015
- Established new auto insurance policies for 15 clients weekly.
- Linked auto insurance and renter's insurance policies for 5 clients weekly.
- Answered telephone questions about insurance coverage.
- Submitted insurance documentation to DMV authorities.
- Responded to information requests from other insurers.
Affordable Insurance Company, Bay City, MI
March 2010 to April 2013
- Assisted customers with insurance claims.
- Responded to 30 inquiries weekly.
- Completed auto insurance claim paperwork.
- Contacted other insurers for claim rights establishment.
- Answered claimant questions.
For resume templates, additional information on work experience sections and information on formatting other sections of your business resume, LiveCareer is a helpful resource. LiveCareer has plenty of advice and examples when it comes to writing a resume work experience section for business jobs and other professions.