If you are looking for new job opportunities, there is a chance that you will have an unexpected job interview. This situation can be stressful since you rarely have a lot of time to prepare. In order to do well, it is important to take a few deep breaths. Added nerves can make it more difficult for you to perform well, and it might affect your chances at landing the job.
An unexpected job interview can happen for a variety of reasons. There may be an internal opening at your current job. If you are a good fit for the role, you may get asked to interview at the last minute. Unexpected job interviews are also common with temp agencies and recruiting agencies. They can also happen if a colleague refers you for a job.
Although you will have limited time to prepare for this situation, there are a few things you can do to increase your performance. This way you will not miss out on a great opportunity that may be available to you.
Preparing for the Unexpected Interview
Since the interview was not expected, you probably will not have time for the traditional prep work involved with an interview. It is likely that you will have limited time to research the company or job description. If you have time, make sure to browse the top attributes of the company online. You can also read over the job description so you understand what you are applying for.
In addition to your quick research, it is important to do the following things so you arrive at the interview on time and look presentable:
- Change into the right clothes.
- Review your top technical skills.
- Print copies of your resume and any professional references.
- Make sure you know where you are going.
After you do these things, it will probably be time for your interview. You might not have time to review possible questions or practice accomplishment statements. This can make the interview seem more stressful. However, if you try to relax and answer the questions naturally, you should do okay.
During your interview, there are a few things that you should try to cover. Make sure to state the reason you are of value. You should be able to do this in 30 seconds. The statement should be short and to the point, and it should mention top characteristics and strengths that will help you succeed in the role.
It is also a good idea to highlight five of your top achievements. Make sure to focus on work related accomplishments. These are great examples that will indicate your ability to perform. Most of the time, it is easy to remember your top accomplishments so you should not have to spend too much time preparing this list.
Possible Questions for Your Unexpected Job Interview
When you arrive at your interview, make sure to be open-minded. It is easy to judge the interviewer or feel threatened because you did not have a lot of time to prepare. Remember, they are simply trying to get to know you better and understand how you will perform on the job. Try to answer their questions honestly and sell yourself as a top candidate. The following are some questions you may be answered:
- Why do you want to change jobs?
- What are the reasons you will perform well in the role?
- Describe a situation at work where you overcame a challenge.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Are you looking for other jobs?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Why do you want to work in this particular industry?
- What is your favorite book?
- If you had six months of financial freedom, what would you do?It can be intimidating to answer these questions if you have not fully prepared. If there is a question you do not fully understand, make sure to ask for more details. Then, provide a thoughtful answer that highlights your character strengths and ability.
Many people succeed in an unexpected job interview and get hired as a result. Although this opportunity may be unexpected, there is no reason you cannot land the job. Remember that landing the interview is one obvious reason you are a good fit for the job. It's now your chance to tell the interviewer a little more about you so you can get hired.