Sometimes during an interview, the hiring manager will ask a question like "Tell me something about your company?" or "What gets you excited about possibly working here?" The hiring manager is checking to make sure you've researched the company before the interview.
He/she uses this type of question to see how well you know what they do. This gives the interviewer a good indication of your overall level of interest in the job, as someone who can't think of anything most likely isn't as concerned with where they work.
Points to Emphasize
The best way to answer this question is to prepare ahead of time.
- Scan the company website, specifically the "about" page, "facts" page, or anything related to a mission statement.
- When answering this question, choose something that shows your level of interest in the company.
- Discuss what you know with enthusiasm.
- Express exactly why this information makes you excited about the job.
You'll want your answer to reveal both your knowledge of and interest in the company so that you'll make a lasting impression on the interviewer.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
When a hiring manager asks you about the company, the worst answer is no answer at all.
To put your best foot forward, avoid these common pitfalls:
- Don't say, "I don't know." Instead, think of anything at all that you can relay back to the interviewer.
- For the best results, research before the interview so you're prepared for the question ahead of time.
- Avoid discussing anything negative about the company or any way you feel it could be improved.
- Compare it with other companies if can do so in a way that promotes the company you're applying for without speaking ill of other specific companies.
Not having an answer to this question could prove detrimental to your chances of getting the job.
As I researched employment opportunities, your company stood out to me. The job posting mentioned that you value a fun workplace just as much as company success, and the company website reemphasized this. This mindset really resonated with me because I firmly believe that the most successful companies are built on both dedication and laughter.
Choose an answer that best shows that you've done your research and that you're excited by the prospect of working for the company.