Boredom is subjective. When a hiring manager asks you about your most boring job, they want to find out how goal oriented you are. If you go into a job, no matter how boring, with a set of goals that you want to achieve, the job may not be that boring to you. The interviewer is also trying to get a sense of how long you tend to stay with jobs. Do you get bored easily and then decide it's time to move on The hiring manager wants to make sure that you will fit in with the company and find the work interesting enough to stay for a long time.
Points to Emphasize
When you answer this question you have to emphasize certain points in order to show the hiring manager that you are dedicated.
- You can talk about the most boring job you've ever had.
- Follow it up with reasons why it wasn't that boring for you like the goals you had set for yourself in that job.
- Talk about the importance of challenging yourself.
- Express traits you have that make it easy to find enjoyment in even the smallest of tasks.
Keep this answer positive even though it's supposed to highlight the negative.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
While you can and should answer the question, there are certain subjects you want to avoid.
- Don't strictly talk about how boring this job was.
- At the same time, don't feel like you can't mention a job that was boring.
- Beware of giving a memorable description of a boring job because then that's what the interviewer will associate you with.
- Try not to blame people for the boringness of the job.
Try to give an honest answer that shows how you used ingenuity to make a seemingly boring job interesting.
Here is a sample of a great answer:
I have had jobs that lend themselves to being boring. When I was a kid I had a summer job at a city park, and if you weren't looking for things to do you could just wait around for customers all day. I could see how that job would be boring, but I never let that happen to me. I think it's important to take the initiative in situations where things are a little slow. There's always something that can be done. Some problem to fix or things to clean. I'm a hard worker, so I never allowed myself to have the downtime that would make a job boring. I always kept goals for myself.
Keep your answer positive in order to show your dedication.