Job Interview Questions Asked of New College Grads
How to Succeed in Your First Round of Job Interviews
And you thought some of your professors' questions were difficult to answer? Wait until you get into the job interview with recruiters looking to find the top job candidates.
How can you succeed in these interviews? Preparation. Review lists of commonly asked job interview questions such as the list below and prepare short and concise responses that demonstrate your skills accomplishments and maturity -- as well as your research and insights into each employer. Include anecdotes and stories to show more than tell. Don't memorize your responses but have them at the ready when the interviews begin.
Top Job Interview Questions Asked of New College Grad Job-Seekers
- Tell me about yourself.
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- What do you see yourself doing in five years?
- What do you really want to do in life?
- Why did you choose your college -- and are you happy with the choice?
- How has your college experience prepared you for your career?
- What was your favorite class -- and why?
- What was your least favorite class -- and why?
- What changes would you make in your college?
- How would you describe the ideal job for you following graduation?
- How do you define success?
- Why did you choose this career?
- What are your majors and minors?
- Why did you choose the courses you took?
- What are your long-term career objectives -- and how do you plan to achieve them?
- What do you expect to be earning in five years?
- What do you expect to be earning after you graduate?
- Why should I hire you?
- What are two or three accomplishments that have given you the most satisfaction -- and why?
- Do you have plans to continue your education?
- What skills have you acquired from your internships and part-time jobs?
- Describe your favorite professor or favorite supervisor.
- Do you think your grades are a good indication of the type of employee you'll make?
- What's your GPA? Are you happy with it?
- How do you think your favorite professor would describe you? Your least favorite professor?
- What motivates you to go the extra mile on a project or job?
- What can you tell us about our company?