Sample College Admissions Interview Questions
by Quintessential Careers
Sample Questions Asked in College Interviews
While most colleges do NOT require a campus interview requesting an interview with the admissions office staff is a great chance to gain more insights into each college/university you are contemplating -- and also a great chance to make your case for why you should be admitted.
While college-bound students cannot predict every question a college admissions officer might ask it's a good idea to get familiar with some of the most common questions asked.
But don't stop at just reviewing the questions; instead prepare (but do not memorize) responses to these common questions. And take it even further by using these questions as a basis for conducting a mock interview with a favorite teacher or guidance counselor. Practicing your interview will make you more confident in the actual interviews. For more tips see our MyCareerBlast.com article Expert Tips for Acing Your College Admissions Interview.
Use this list of sample questions asked in college admissions interviews to help you prepare -- and succeed in -- your college interviews.
- Why do you want to be a student at this college/university?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What kind of lasting impact do you see making on our college/college campus?
- What major/minor/career path are you currently pursuing? Why?
- What makes you an ideal candidate for admission to our college/university?
- What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses?
- What is the one accomplishment you are most proud of? Why?
- How did you get involved in ______________ (community service extracurricular activity etc.)?
- Who has made the greatest influence in your life so far?
- Does your high school record reflect what you are capable of accomplishing?
- If you could change one aspect of your high school career what would it be -- and why?
- What books have you read recently?
- What makes you unique?
- How do you define success -- and how do you plan on becoming successful?
- What questions about our college/university can I answer for you?
Final Thoughts on College Admission Interviews
Remember that while there are no right or wrong answers to these questions -- and while you want to answer honestly and truthfully -- you also should ALWAYS answer these questions with an idea of what the admissions counselor is really asking... the hidden agenda behind the questions.
Finally keep in mind that the college admissions interview is your one chance to make a shining impression as a real life person -- not just an applicant on paper.
Key College Planning Resources
Find lots more tips and expert advice for just about every aspect of college planning -- from choosing a college to choosing a college major. The link will open a new browser window: Quintessential Careers: College Planning Resources.
This article was written exclusively for MyCareerBlast.com by Dr. Randall S. Hansen. Dr. Hansen is founder and publisher of Quintessential Careers