Edited by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Learn how to write a successful college application essay using the three-step process for writing your personal college admissions essay.
Gaining entrance to just about any college or university continues to get harder as more and more applicants are applying for a limited number of spaces. How can you improve your chances to being admitted to the college or university of your choice? By writing a stellar personal essay as part of your college admissions application.
It may be only 500 words -- or sometimes only 100-250 words -- but the admissions essay(s) portion of a college application can mean the difference between acceptance and rejection. How you write your personal essay shows the admissions committee why you are different from other applicants. It provides information about you that test scores, grades, and extracurricular pursuits just cannot.
You can use the essay to describe a favorite activity, to tell a story about yourself, or even a story about your dog, but make sure to really use it -- in a way that captures the readers attention and shows that you are exceptional.
So how do you write a college application essay? Writing the college application essay can be one of the most daunting parts of applying to college. To help you get started, we've published these college essay guides from EssayEdge.com, with thoughts on brainstorming ideas, choosing a topic, and how to write an effective and powerful essay.
Once you've gone through the three steps, then take a look at the eight free sample college application essays.
Three-Step Process to Writing Successful College Application Essays:
- Step One: Brainstorming Topic Ideas
- Step Two: Selecting An Essay Topic
- Step Three: Writing the Essay, Tips for Success
Free Sample College Application Essays:
- Princeton sample college application essay
- Cornell sample college application essay
- Wellesley sample college application essay
- Harvard sample college application essay
- Stanford sample college application essay
- Excellent sample college application essay #6
- Excellent sample college application essay #7
- Excellent sample college application essay #8
For access to 100 free sample successful admissions essays, visit EssayEdge.com, the company The New York Times calls "the world's premier application essay editing service." You'll also find other great essay and editing resources (some free and some fee-based) at EssayEdge.
See also our college application essay articles:
- 10 Common College Admissions Essay Writing Mistakes -- and How to Fix Them
- How to Succeed With Your College Application Essay
- 10 Things Colleges Seek From High School Applicants
Return to Teenage Jobs, Careers, and College -- Including College and Career Choices.