- Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself by Erik Deckers and Kyle Lacy
- Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success One Relationship at a Time by Keith Ferrazzi and Tahl Raz
- Networking is a Contact Sport: How Staying Connected and Serving Others Will Help You Grow Your Business Expand Your Influence -- or Even Land Your Next Job by Joe Sweeney with Mike Yorkey
- The Heart and Art of NetWeaving: Building Meaningful Relationships One Connection At a Time by Robert S. Littell
- Smart Networking: Attract a Following In Person and Online by Liz Lynch
Resumes and cover letters
- 15-Minute Cover Letter by Louise Kursmark and Michael Farr
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Resume by Susan Ireland
- The Elements of Resume Style: Essential Rules and Eye-Opening Advice for Writing Resumes and Cover Letters that Work by Scott Bennett
- Knock 'em Dead Resumes: Standout Advice from Ame rica's Leading Job Search Authority by Martin Yate
- Mastering the Job Interview and Winning the Money Game by Kate Wendleton
Recessionary job search
- Ground of Your Own Choosing: Winning Strategies for Finding & Creating Work by Beverly Ryle
- Knock 'em Dead -- Secrets and Strategies for Success in an Uncertain World by Martin Yate
- The Quick 30/30 Job Solution: Smart Job Search Tips for Surviving Today's New Economy by Ronald Krannich and Neil P. McNulty
- The Professional Job Changing System -- For Professionals Seeking $50000 to $1000000 by Robert J. Gerberg
- Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes by William Bridges
Entry-level job search
- Hitting Stryde: A Gen Y Career Survival Guide by Daneal Charney and David James Singh
On the job/career sustainability and advancement
- The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle by Kathleen Kelly Reardon Ph.D.
- Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results by Bill Jensen and Josh Klein
- Ambition Is Not a Dirty Word: A Woman's Guide to Earning Her Worth and Achieving Her Dreams by Debra Condron
- If You Have to Cry Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You by Kelly Cutrone and Meredith Bryan
- Luck is No Accident: Making the Most of Happenstance in Your Life and Career by John D. Krumholtz and Al S. Levin
- Overcoming Barriers to Employment: A Step-by-Step Guide to Career Success by Ron and Caryl Krannich
- The Career Clinic: Eight Simple Rules for Finding Work You Love by Maureen Anderson
- Radical Careering: 100 Truths to Jumpstart Your Job Your Career and Your Life by Sally Hogshead
- Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It by Peggy Klaus
- And What Do You Do?: 10 Steps to Creating a Portfolio Career by Barrie Hopson and Katie Ledger
- Over 40 & You're Hired!: Secrets to Landing a Great Job by Robin Ryan
- One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way by Robert Maurer
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin
- Top Personal Growth Books I Read In 2017 by Erin Moody
Final Thoughts on the Top Career and Job-Search Books for Job-Seekers
While it's nice to think of a library of 15 outstanding books that cover job search and career from soup to nuts careerists are fortunate to have a list of 96 books recommended to them by top career experts.
Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key college career and job-search terms by going to our Job-Seeker's Glossary of Job-Hunting Terms.
Katharine Hansen Ph.D. creative director and associate publisher of Quintessential Careers is an educator author and blogger who provides content for Quintessential Careers editsQuintZinean electronic newsletter for jobseekers and blogs about storytelling in the job search at A Storied Career. Katharine who earned her PhD in organizational behavior from Union Institute & University Cincinnati OH is author of Dynamic Cover Letters for New Graduates and A Foot in the Door: Networking Your Way into the Hidden Job Market (both published by Ten Speed Press) as well as Top Notch Executive Resumes (Career Press); and with Randall S. Hansen Ph.D. Dynamic Cover Letters Write Your Way to a Higher GPA (Ten Speed) and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Study Skills (Alpha). Visit her personal Website or reach her by e-mail at kathy(at)quintcareers.com. Check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index which enables site visitors to locate articles tutorials quizzes and worksheets in 35 career college job-search topic areas.