Here are the keys to successfully requesting an increase in salary or wages. Following these simple rules and
guidelines should help you achieve success in getting the raise you deserve.
- Do have a plan and a strategy for getting the raise you deserve.
- Don't make ultimatums, beg, whine, or get angry. Do be professional.
- Do Do have an idea of your value both inside the company and on the job market, by using our Salary Calculator. And do use these salary negotiation resources.
- Don't be unrealistic in seeking too much of a raise. Do have an idea of the parameters you should
- Do be flexible in considering perks other than a monetary raise if money is tight within the department
- Don't focus on the raise you need. Instead, do focus on the raise you deserve.
- Do demonstrate your value, accomplishments, and contributions to your department and your organization.
Don't assume your work speaks for itself. Consider using something like this accomplishments worksheet.
- Don't be intimidated by the process. Do ask for a raise if you deserve one.
- Do have a thorough understanding of the negotiation process and plan a strategy accordingly.
- Don't blindside your boss in the hallway for a raise; do schedule an appointment to discuss a
- Do be persistent in asking for a raise, but don't ask too often -- and do know the proper policies
and procedures of the organization.
- Don't be overtly disappointed if you do not get the raise you desire, but do ask for suggestions
on how you can get the raise you want at your next raise meeting.
- Do focus on your future with the organization.
- Do consider enlisting the help of a mentor within the organization.
- Do read our article, Getting the Raise You Deserve.
- Do read our article, Clever Ways to
Get a Raise: Perks you Might Not Have Thought About.
Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key college, career, and job-search terms by going to our Job-Seeker's Glossary of Job-Hunting Terms.Have you seen all our salary negotiation resources?
Read all our job-hunting do's
and don'ts articles for job-seekers.
Stay up to date with the latest salary information form LiveCareer's Salary Calculator!