The Complete Idiot's Guide to Choosing a College Major: Future-Focused Strategies for Finding a Field Where You'll Excel
Real jobs for real majors!
by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
If you don't have your own copy, of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Choosing a College Major, buy a copy for yourself today!!
This guide to majors, careers, and jobs helps students:
- plan their futures by examining lifelong interests, skills, and passions
- conduct career search through personal and experiential sources
- decide on majors and minors by determining what's best for them
Readers can find practical advice and information on real job titles and careers for college graduates with just about any college major, from business and the arts, to science and music. Each chapter includes information on typical majors, background on various careers, skills needed, sample job entry-level job ads, industry resources and professional associations, employment outlook, salary information, and other features.
From the back cover...
You want a college major that's both practical and personally fulfilling. And you can't afford to spend six years in school, "sampling" different fields until you find the one that fits...
Focus your efforts! Follow the commonsense advice in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Choosing a College Major, and you'll be that much closer to making this life-changing decision. In this book, you get:
- Practical tips on choosing a college major that will help you land a well-paying job.
- Fast facts about the majors empoyers like to see on resumes.
- Hints on finding a major that reflects your own interests and hobbies.
- Guidance toward a field of study that will help you fulfill personal goals like travel or service to others.
What can you do with your major? It depends. You're completing one of the most important steps right now -- conducting research. While your college degree is the most important goal, a major can play an important role in helping provide you with direction toward a successful career. By choosing a college major because of specific job opportunities, you can then gain valuable experience while in college that should also help you decide if that major and career are right for you.
What Can I do With a Major in...:
Careers in the Arts:
- The Visual Arts (Art, Art History, Photography, Film Studies)
- Design (Digital, Graphic, Fashion, Interior, Architecture)
- English, Journalism, and Communications Studies
- Foreign Language
- Performing Arts
Careers in Business:
- Accounting, Finance, and Economics
- International Business
- Management, Entrepreneurship, and Hospitality
- Marketing, Advertising, Retailing, and Sales
- Real Estate
Careers in the Sciences:
- Agriculture, Biology, and Life Sciences
- Environmental Science, Wildlife and Forestry
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Geography, Geology, and Geophysics
- Physics and Astronomy
Careers in Service to People:
- Education (Teaching)
- Health Services
- Exercise Science and Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Pre-Med and Pre-Pharmacy
Careers in the Social Sciences:
- History and Political Science
- Math and Computer Science
- Psychology, Social Work, and Sociology
- Criminology and Pre-Law
Special Section of Quintessential Careers: Real Jobs for Real Majors
What Can I do With a Major In...?
Struggle no longer if you've been trying to find real jobs for graduates of specific college majors. This section of Quintessential Careers provides you with real job titles and careers for students who major in just about any major.