Page 51 of the Cover Letter Tutorial: Examples
Sample Excerpts of Job-Seeker USP Use in Cover Letters:
The writer in this example seeks an entry-level accounting position:
- I have a goal-oriented personality and have proven my leadership ability and dedication to excellence. For example as a senior in high school I was invited to dance in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Dublin Ireland. To make the trip possible I solicited funds from local businesses. I then organized and taught a dance class for children to raise the remaining money. As a result I was able to tour Ireland for 10 days dance in the parade and perform at the Lord Mayor’s Ball in Dublin. The skills and personal qualities I demonstrated will make me a valuable asset to your organization.
The position the next student seeks in a consulting firm requires extensive computer experience:
- My rigorous education and previous programming experience signify I have much to offer to Desko. My hefty courseload and the fact that maintained a 3.5 GPA while working full-time demonstrates my commitment to excellence. I would like the opportunity to continue this commitment to excellence in a position at Desko.
This student is applying for a management-trainee position:
- I am a very serious goal-oriented individual motivated to equip myself with the knowledge and power to succeed in the future. In addition to money received through an athletic scholarship I am fully funding my college education. My independence and full responsibility for myself have driven me to a higher level of maturity than many of my peers a quality that differentiates me from many other applicants.
The next writer seeks an analyst position in the healthcare field:
- Once upon a time my boss told my co-workers that I did not know my limitations. He spoke the truth. I do not know the word “can’t” and therefore I believe anything is possible. With this philosophy I have gained the experience necessary to contribute enormously to your organization as a business analyst.
The management-major writer of the next excerpt is looking for a position in human resources:
- I will graduate in July after only three years in college. I have worked all the way through school in various jobs while maintaining above a 3.75 GPA and participating in many extracurricular activities. Thus I will bring to the position tenacity and dedication.
This marketing major seeks an internship in the fashion industry:
- Although a recent graduate I am not a typical new graduate. I attended schools in Washington and California. I have specialized in areas of business that will stimulate potential growth in any fashion institution. I have worked extensively in fashion tailoring and learned much about the fashion industry — both from the retailers’ and wholesalers’ point of view — from my internship with the CaliMart.
The student whose letter is excerpted next seeks an accounting position:
- My internship experience with a local CPA firm has provided me with the unique skills necessary for working in an accounting form. I am already equipped and fully trained in making general-ledger entries completing bank reconciliations and handling payroll data and forms. In addition I have a working knowledge of tax preparation estate planning and depreciation work.
The following writer is applying for a position in a high-tech firm:
- I manage a difficult schedule at school which includes a full courseload work and varsity athletics. My ability to juggle these major responsibilities makes me the ideal candidate for a job that requires attentiveness teamwork and extensive time management.
This letter writer wants a career selling office equipment:
- I am extremely knowledgeable about your company. Because my father has worked in the copier and office-equipment business for more than 35 years I have absorbed tremendous knowledge of the field by working in his office during all the summers of my young adulthood.
This student wants to apply her language skills to a customer-service position:
- I am fluent in both the English and Spanish languages. With the growing Hispanic population in the area my bilingual skills can benefit your company significantly.
The writer of this excerpt seeks a position in international trade:
- I am fluent in French and have a strong working knowledge of Spanish. My previous experience in translating texts my work with international companies and my knowledge of various European cultures uniquely qualify me to provide the skills you need at International Planning Co.
This student hopes to use quantitative skills in a consulting position:
- Business consultants deal with numbers daily. Having completed a minor in quantitative methods with a 3.8 GPA I have analyzed and forecasted nearly every type of data.
The student whose letter is excerpted next applied for an internship with a psychologist who works with hospitalized children. She described how her personal experience uniquely qualified her for the internship:
- In the recent past I have spent many long hours at the bedsides of my two brothers who were both hospitalized for lengthy periods for separate traumas. I thus have personal experience with both short- and long-term patients and the problems that they endure while in the hospital.
Non-traditional students can use the USP to distinguish themselves not only from other job-seekers but from their fellow new graduates:
- I seek an opportunity to bring my skills to a public accounting firm and am especially interested in joining your team. My work experience and prior responsibilities for the last 11 years separate me from traditional new graduates. Working with and supervising other employees has enabled me to develop the skills needed to work in public accounting.
Lost? Check out the Map to the Cover Letter Tutorial… or go to the home page of the Cover Letter Tutorial for Developing Stunningly Effective Job-Search Cover Letters.
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?