Quick and Quintessential Tips to Guide Your Job Search and Work Life
Job-hunting tips from the June 14, 2010, issue of QuintZine.
In a blog entry titled “Get out of the haystack (or what really works on the job hunt)” on An Honest Day’s Work, HR Consultant Laurie Bartolo talks about the kinds of job-seekers who stood out during her recent attempt to fill a position for which she received 500 applications in less than a week: “Every single candidate that was granted an interview for that position had some sort of networking activity going on that helped them get out of the haystack and get their resume noticed,” Bartolo writes. Here’s how those networking efforts break down:
- Several interviewees were employee referrals.
- One was referred to the hiring manager by a mutual colleague.
- Several contacted Bartolo directly on LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Several recent hires were people Bartolo already knew because the job-seekers had networked with her. “These candidates were hired quickly and with very little competition because they had such a strong head start on the process,” Bartolo writes.
- Two hires sent her the addresses of their “very well done online sites that showcased their skills in a unique way.”
- Three stayed in touch with the company after being rejected for a different job.
Conclusion: Networking rules!
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.