Quick and Quintessential Tips to Guide Your Job Search and Work Life
Job-hunting tips from the February 8, 2010, issue of QuintZine.
Not long ago, Amanda Hite of Talent Revolution observed that “Baby Boomers aren’t retiring. They’re starting businesses. Gen-Y’rs are graduating college only to be disappointed by the lack of opportunity within the job market. And X’ers are having early mid-life [crises] like I did and wondering ‘Am I missing out on something here? Should I be opting out of corporate America and chase my dreams?'” In the blog posting, Hite asks readers for tips for aspiring entrepreneurs — and gets a bunch of them in response. Check them out here.
- What is your purpose for being in (or opening a new) business?
- What do you really want?
- What can you do?
- What will you do?
- What do you want your business to look like this time next year? What will be in place that isn’t present now? What will you have more of? What will you have less of?
- Now think about how you’d like your business to look well into the future (depending on where you are in life, this might be 5, 10, 20, or 30 years from now). What are some of the highlights?
- Ideally, what image/brand would you like colleagues and clients to have of you?
- What are the problems, as opposed to the needs, of your clients?
- What do you need to do to prepare yourself to serve clients better?
- What opportunities are out there that you are not taking advantage of?
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.