Quick and Quintessential Tips to Guide Your Job Search and Work Life
Job-hunting tips from the September 21, 2009, issue of QuintZine.
The blog Applicant.com has identified “7 Must Read SlideShare Presentations For Job Seekers.” They are:
- Effective Job Interviewing from Both Sides of the Desk
- 10 Job Search Attitudes that Will Get You More Interviews
- Rethink your Job Search
- Leveraging LinkedIn for the Job Search
- 10 Commandments of Job Search
- Job Search with Social Media & Mobile
- Converging Trends Impacting Your Job Search
- a list 375+ great verbs for writing resumes, cover letters and other career communications.
- a list of the most common fonts for Windows, Mac, and Linux systems to help you choose a resume font that will be present on the most computers.
- a collection of articles.
Palladian indentified four elements that routinely appear in the filenames of resume. The most common was an indication of the job seeker’s name. Also common were the word “resume,” a version number of the resume, and the date the resume was written.
Ninety-two percent of resumes included some indication of the candidate’s name, but only 58 percent contained both the first and last name. Nine percent of the file names contained no reference to the candidate and were called: “resume,” “myresume” and “resume2009.”
Other Information: A large percentage of resume filenames contained information of no value to a hiring manager. Two common items were the date the resume was written and the version number of the resume. Some job-seekers included information in the filename that had no meaning. Other job-seekers seemed to have used the resume of someone else as a template, since the filename contained a different person’s name. Others had random words with no apparent meaning.
- Use your first and last name in the file name.
- Include the word “resume”
- Include a keyword phrase (1 to 3 words summarizing your job or industry)
- Separate words with hyphens
Structure of a good resume filename: FirstName-LastName-Resume-KeywordPhrase.doc
Example: John-Doe-Resume-Logistics-Manager.doc Get the full research report here.
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.