Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
Job-hunting tips from the March 26, 2007 issue of QuintZine.
Marge Watters of The Society of Management Accountants of Canada suggests working through these questions to discover what you want to do in your career:
- What social, environmental, cultural, religious, judicial, or political issues do you find the most compelling?
- On the job, when you choose a course or read an article in a trade or professional journal, what topics attract your attention because you are truly curious?
- What magazines, books, TV shows, movies or Internet sites interest you?
- Who are your role models and heroes?
- How do you like to spend your time outside the workplace?
- At social events, what topics of conversation do you welcome?
- If you were to return to school, what would you study even if it had no obvious practical application?
- If money were not an issue, how would you spend your time?
- 33.9 percent of all open positions were filled by internal transfers and promotions.
- Referrals (25.6 percent) are arguably the No. 1 external source.
- Employee referrals make up 95 percent of all the hires attributed to this category.
- The impact of the Internet is so pervasive that it is reasonable to imagine that every source of hire has an Internet component. It may be the research done to find candidates or the impetus that moved the candidate was moved to apply. The Internet is also the means to apply and communicate no matter what the original source that triggered interest.
- Hires attributed to the “Company Website” are suspect (CareerXroads maintains that the company website is a destination not a source). Respondents report that their company website represents 20.7 percent of all external hires (13.7 percent of all positions filled).
- Hires attributed to specific job boards (such as Monster.com, CareerBuilder and HotJobs) and all other “niche” boards represent 12.3 percent of external hires (8.1 percent of all positions filled).
- The largest trends in 2006 were the growth of re-hires as a source of hire and the emergence of search-engine advertising as a measurable source of hire.
Clearly, Mr. Milton is one executive who saw his dream job come true. But that makes him a rare bird, a survey of 2,160 senior executives worldwide has found.
The majority of those polled said they regretted abandoning their childhood dreams of becoming astronauts, pro athletes, or film stars to become executives.
And they would choose a different career if they knew then what they know now, according to the survey by Korn/Ferry International, which included 100 executives in Canada.
In fact, just 18 percent of the senior executives said they aspired as children to become business leaders. Among the other 82 percent, 15 percent dreamed of being professional athletes and 11 percent had their hearts set on becoming astronauts. Another 10 percent wanted to be doctors or nurses.
Law, police, firefighting, the military and teaching were each the childhood aspirations of about 5 percent of the executives polled. And 4 percent each dreamed of careers in music, acting or politics. No one, it seems, yearned to be an actuary or a tax auditor, and no other profession got more than 1 percent of votes.
For a majority of the executives polled, abandoning their dream has created lasting regrets. A full 51 percent said that, if they could start their career over again, they would most likely do something completely different that more closely matched their long-held aspirations. And career pros say there is more opportunity than ever to do just that.
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.