Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
Job-hunting tips from the November 21, 2005 issue of QuintZine.
The internship hiring picture has really turned a corner for MBAs. According to a recent WetFeet research report conducted by WetFeet’s president, Steve Pollock, recruiters are slugging it out on campus for top talent to build their full-time hiring pipeline. Not only are more companies from a wider range of industries developing organized on-campus recruiting programs, but the traditional big recruiters — consulting firms and investment banks — have increased their number of offers for the past three years.
Companies are continuing to dedicate more and more resources to internship programs, giving students many more options, but also making it more important that students participate in the internship recruiting process, even if it is to simply practice interviewing skills or learn about various companies and industries.
The Labor Department projects more than 600,000 nursing jobs will open in the next 10 years, a 27 percent increase by 2012 from 2002. Registered nurses earn about $52,000 on average, physician assistants (PAs) average more than $63,000, physical therapists more than $61,000, and occupational therapists average $53,000.
The projected fastest-growing fields through 2012 are:
- Network systems and communications analysts: 57.0 percent
- Physician assistants: 48.9 percent
- Software engineers: 45.5 percent
- Physical therapist assistants: 44.6 percent
- Fitness trainers: 44.5 percent
- Database administrators: 44.2 percent
- Dental hygienists: 43.1 percent
- Hazardous material removal workers: 43.1 percent
- Computer systems analysts: 39.4 percent
- Environmental engineers: 38.2 percent
(Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Most valued qualifications:
- Industry-specific experience: 43 percent
- Soft skills: 32 percent
- Certification in a relevant technology: 15 percent
- IT-related undergraduate degree: 8 percent
- MBA: 1 percent
- Other: 1 percent
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.