Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
Job-hunting tips from the February 3, 2003 issue of QuintZine.
Company of Friends (CoF), Fast Company magazine’s readers’ network, is a global online and offline community of self-organizing groups of forward-thinking business leaders and innovators. Members help each other improve their careers, companies, and communities. Groups formerly were organized based on geography, but new groups based on industries and interests are also now part of the mix. While these new industry- and interest-related CoF groups are online discussion groups first and foremost, most of the geographically organized, local CoF groups schedule frequent face-to-face gatherings to update each other on current business activity, discuss common challenges, develop personal and professional skills, and leverage resources and tools within the group. CoF groups also schedule speaker series or member-led presentations on themes and topics addressed in recent issues of Fast Company. Members also communicate via email and online discussion forums. Find out more and join today.
- Pharmacists — Salary $71K with 5,000 open positions currently.
- Electricians — Salary $37K + lots of overtime with a currently need for 80,000 workers.
- Truck Drivers — Salary $30K with a 10-20 percent increase in need predicted by 2010.
- Privacy Officers — Salary $40-80K.
- Security Guards — Salary $18K with a greater demand for security post-Sept. 11.
- Airport Screeners — Salary $29K with particular demand for women, because of a 50 percent quota that must be met.
- Mortgage Broker/Banker — Salary $42K.
- Teacher — Salary $40K with a need for 2.4 million teachers predicted by 2012.
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.