Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
Job-hunting tips from the September 24, 2001 issue of QuintZine.
Recruiting Trends reports that employment activity is expected to remain near historically low levels in the final quarter of the year. Despite that depressing news, USA Today recently reported that, even in this economic downturn, employers are maintaining and even expanding their internship programs. Aside from the fact that interns provide cheap labor, companies are offering internship programs “so they can locate good hires once the economy rebounds,” says USA Today reporter Stephanie Armour. Armour reports that a study by the National Association of Colleges and Employers showed that more than 60 percent of companies planned to maintain or increase internships. Among big companies hiring multitudes of interns are Texas Instruments and Verizon Communications. It’s all about keeping the talent pipeline open.
- Job content related to major
- Well-defined project to complete during internship
- Working with people I like/respect
- Opportunity to see what it’s really like at company
- Chance to “get my foot in the door”
- Having job description/being measured against objectives
- Working in location with lots of young people
- Diversity of company’s work force
- Rotational assignments during internship
- Frequency/quality of performance reviews
Review all our Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips.