What to say in the interview (how to respond to interview questions).
Here are 5 tips for better interview responses:
- It’s OK to pause before responding to an interview question — especially if it is one you did not expect. Another neat trick for gaining some time in responding is to ask the interviewer to repeat the question.
- Before responding, think about what the employer is really asking with the question.
- Don’t be too brief. Give a response that’s complete enough to answer the question — remembering to show (by providing an example) rather than just telling.
- Avoid rambling. This is solved by practicing interview responses beforehand. Keep your interview responses to about 1-2 minutes.
- Project yourself as a willing and enthusiastic worker.
You can find lots of questions to practice responding to in our Job Interview Database for Job-Seekers.
Ready to practice responding to a few typical job interview questions? They start on the next page.
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Teens and Entry-Level Job-Seekers Home Page
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Teens and Entry-Level Job-Seekers Site Map
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.