Here’s one sample salary increase memo, which works especially well for people who find it easier to express themselves in writing.
Before getting started, find out how much you should be getting paid for your background, skills, and experience with our Salary Calculator.Be sure to read this article published on Quintessential Careers: Getting the Raise You Deserve.
Sample Salary Increase Request Memo
To: Mr. Joe M. Boss
From: Scott Hent
Date: February 7, 2014
Subject: Raise Request
I appreciate the opportunity I have had during the last three years of serving as a vital member of the marketing and sales support team. This past year has been an especially challenging business environment, but my accomplishments have continued to build on my earlier achievements, and I have high expectations for this success to continue for the foreseeable future.
Here are some highlights of how I have helped the department and the company in the past year:
- 1. Developed a proposal that brought a client from the brink of terminating our services to renewing at a higher level than ever before, adding a net gain of $500,000.
- 2. Partnered with several sales team members to attract new business opportunities totaling $1.2 million.
- 3. Conceptualized, proposed, and produced a market research study that serves as a valuable tool for our industry, increasing our visibility, and making it easier for our sales team to call on prospective clients.
- 4. Served on the team of two company-wide task forces that identified redundancies, cut costs, and save the company several million dollars.
- 5. Participated in and attended four professional meetings, increasing the visibility of the company within the industry.
- 6. Mentored and trained three interns who handled many routine functions within the department, freeing up team members to focus on new client development and current client retention.
- 7. Proposed new projects, and completed all new tasks and assignments when requested to do so.
I look forward to continuing to play a key role within the department, and given all of my recent accomplishments and that my salary is still below industry averages, I am confident that you will offer a salary increase that reflects these issues and my standing in the department.
Go to Job-Hunting Samples and Examples for Job-Seekers, where you’ll find free samples of just about every job-search tool you’ll need to be successful.