How Should I Handle References?
Here’s how to handle your references…
- List on a separate page with same name/address/phone number/e-mail heading as your resume. Do not submit with resume unless requested. Give to employer at end of interview if you are interested in this position.
- See sample reference lists.
- List a minimum of 3 business references: People who have direct knowledge of your daily job performance. Get their approval first. Provide your references with a copy of your resume.
- List contact’s name, title, company, complete address, phone number with area code, and e-mail address (if they use it).
- Don’t ever submit your list of references unless it is requested by the employer.
- Learn more about the importance and value of references in our article, References: The Keys to Choosing and Using the Best Job References in Your Job Search
Lost? Go to the Map of the Job-Seeker Resume Tutorial.
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.