Ideas for identifying Resume Keywords:
- Look for job descriptions in books and job-description software.
- Visit the meetings and Web sites of professional associations in your field to look and listen for current buzzwords.
- If you are working with a recruiter or headhunter, that person can be an excellent source of keyword tips.
- Consult government publications such as The Occupational Outlook Handbook at libraries or online.
- Visit company Web sites. See The Quintessential Directory of Company Career Centers
- Imagine you were writing an ad or job description for the type of job you seek; what keywords would you use?
- Research and incorporate into your keywords the company culture and values of employers you are targeting. Read our article Uncovering a Company’s Corporate Culture is a Critical Task for Job-Seekers. Note especially the company’s mission statement and look for ways to quote it in your resume and/or cover letter.
- Scrutinize news stories in trade magazines relevant to your work. Read cutting-edge magazines, such as Fast Company.
- Join online discussion groups and chat rooms that relate to your field and observe the words professionals are using in their discussions.
- Read annual reports from the companies you’d like to work for.
- Conduct informational interviews at companies you want to work for and listen for the jargon and buzzwords that your interviewees use in talking about the company and its jobs.
- Talk to human resources professionals.
- Use Web search engines, such as Google and Yahoo, to search for job descriptions.
Page 19 Industry- or Profession-Specific Job Boards. Recruiters claim they get better results going to a marketing job site than when posting the same job on a general job board….
Career Journal for Job-Seekers Seeking New Jobs New Job-Search Module 1: Marketing and You This assignment is all about getting you to look at yourself in marketing terms, as well…
Q TIPS: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips Job-hunting tips from the April 9, 2001 issue of QuintZine. The Washington Center’s deadline for summer internships has been extended to…
QuintZine A Career and Job-Hunting Newsletter Volume 09, Issue 02 ISSN: 1528-9443 February 4, 2008 What You’ll Find: Job-Hunting Notes from the Editor Feature Article: Seven Strategies to Recession-Proof Your…