- The downsides include the fact that it is more difficult to perform keyword searches on PDF resumes unless they are scanned first or special extraction software is used. If a resume writer prepares a PDF document for you, you will not be able to manipulate or change it in any way (unlike, for example, a Word document, which you can easily change), so the PDF conversion should take place after you’re totally satisfied with your resume and need no additional changes. Your PDF resume should be a companion piece, not a substitute, for a document that you can manipulate. The biggest downside is that you need special software to create a PDF document. The gold standard for creating PDF documents is Adobe Acrobat, which is rather expensive. You can buy this and similar programs at the PDF Store. Cheaper and even freeware or shareware programs are available. Mac OS X with comes a built-in program, Preview, that can convert any OS X file into PDF. Search for freeware and shareware using Planet PDF’s Tools List. Planet PDF is a rich resource on conversion of documents to PDF. You can also pay a print shop or resume writer to convert your resume to PDF.
- Web-based resume in hypertext markup language (HTML) to make your resume available 24/7 on the Web and easily expandable into a Web portfolio. Web resume, also known as an HTML, Web-based, or Web-ready resume, is advantageous in a number of ways:
- Employers can access your resume 24/7. If you’re talking on the phone with an employer in another city who wants to see a copy of your resume, you can simply refer the employer to the Web address where your resume resides.
- Resumes published on the Web, which carry the file extension .html or .htm, enable passive job-seeking because employers sometimes find your resume on the Web using various search mechanisms.
- A resume published on the Web can be expanded into a Web portfolio that includes links to work samples (written work, graphic design, other Web pages you’ve designed, photographs, reports, etc.) that can demonstrate your skills to employers.
- If Web design is a career you are pursuing, a Web-based resume can show off your design skills.
For examples of PDF resumes, you can view any of the samples at our sister site, Quintessential Resumes and Cover Letters.
Q TIPS: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips Job-hunting tips from the September 12, 2005 issue of QuintZine. A no-cost worksheet tool for helping you update your resume is…
The Quintessential Guide to Finding and Maximizing Internships ISBN-10: 1-934689-07-6 ISBN-13: 978-1-934689-07-3 According to surveys, 95 percent of employers want their new-grad hires to have experience, and almost half of…
Book Review: Review of Job-Search Books for Executives From time-to-time, as we receive career-related and job-hunting books and other resources from publishers, the staff of Quintessential Careers will review them…
Q TIPS: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips Job-hunting tips from the December 18, 2006 issue of QuintZine. As the new year draws near, the familiar adage, “Nothing ventured,…